North Arm tides/current/wind

sixohfour

I am coming from the Sunshine Coast to pick up a boat on the North Arm. Can anyone educate me on the scenario at the mouth of the North Arm? I understand that the current, winds and tides can often interact and produce conditions that might otherwise be unexpected. Thanks.

Are you boating up the arm, or down? Respect the mile marker closest by and your gps/map device, it is vey shallow way out from shore, but sandy.

Normal wind and wave reports will give you the conditions you need to know, no real difference there unless a freak day. Strong currents but not affecting wave height that much. Under the Lions Gate is an example of waves and rips during tide and current changes. If you are heading up and do not know the way up the arm, follow another boat as many go the wrong way and get in behind a log boom and hit bottom or a submerged log.

Are you boating up the arm, or down? Respect the mile marker closest by and your gps/map device, it is vey shallow way out from shore, but sandy.

Normal wind and wave reports will give you the conditions you need to know, no real difference there unless a freak day. Strong currents but not affecting wave height that much. Under the Lions Gate is an example of waves and rips during tide and current changes. If you are heading up and do not know the way up the arm, follow another boat as many go the wrong way and get in behind a log boom and hit bottom or a submerged log.
Will be leaving North Arm and heading back to SSC.

less chance of a wrong way going down the arm. It is narrow in some spots for safe water though if 2 way traffic happening, keep your eye on your device.
Copy that. I’m comfortable with the navigation portion, just wary of conditions as we come out of the north arm into the Strait. With current coming out of the river into the strait, curious about what sort of opposing tides/wind might produce uncomfortable conditions. Will be shooting for a low wind/wave forecast day anyways, and will try to coordinate timing for a slack tide, so might not be any issue.

The usual, same for up here in Campbell River, do not attempt with big wind against tide.
Very localized, but not nice if you are in it.

It's all about wind against tide! Ask me how I know!
A falling tide against a strong westerly or northwesterly and look out!

4 to 6 foot standing waves! YEE HAWWW!

All of the north arm there is pretty much the same depth all the way out. 20 to 30 ft kinda thing. Just watch for logs and stick to the middle of the channel. The river banks drop down fairly quickly however there are random deadheads. Charts are fairly accurate throughout the river. It's a very active commercial logging and tug highway. It's easy. If it's blowing norwest it kinda sucks at the mouth.

Thanks all for the info. Went today at low slack, no issues in the arm or coming out past the buoy. Would have been nice to have a working depth sounder, but kept an eye on the plotter and everything went smoothly.

Back