Nootka island lodge reviews

Fishtank

I'm sure someone on here has stayed there before, can you please share your experience? I'm looking at doing a guided 2 day trip there, thanks in advance!

Stayed there about 5 years ago and we were self guided on a buddy's vessel.

It may be better now but here are a few things I found which may have since changed.

• BIG advantage is your are close to the outside and the fishing grounds; we had great fishing but were largely offshore on the highway or at Ferrer.
  • Accommodation is pretty basic, 2 single beds in a small very simple room. Don't go in expecting 4-5 star accommodation.
  • Shared bathroom/shower facilities.....very "dorm" like, you don't have a private washroom with your room. (some rooms may but not sure)
  • Meals were......food. ;) We were heading out for the day and not coming back for lunch; brown bag lunches were pretty simple.
  • Breakfast was okay and the only thing we found a bit frustrating is coming in from a day offshore and there would be meals set aside for us with saran wrap on them and really nobody to be found if we needed anything else. So....we microwaved our precooked meals when we got in around 8 and had finished tidying up fish etc.
  • If you're being guided I imagine you'll be on a more regimented schedule so may come back in for a good lunch and dinner at 5 or whatever time it was when it is served warm.
  • In the evenings....you're pretty much relegated to hanging out in a common room which we did but unless things have changed don't expect anyone to be serving you drinks or snacks. We were pretty happy we had brought along a lot of snacks etc.

As I said....things may have changed since we were there but that was our experience. In saying all that I think we were only paying $125 or so a night for a bed and meals on a somewhat late booking. It served our purpose but just don't go with high expectations of the facilities.

As Pippen mentioned, very basic but a good location. Have been there several times over the past few years in my own boat. Try and get a room on the backside of the building or the gen-set will drive you nuts. Food was fairly decent and always fresh. Very basic and no menu, eat what they are serving which I can understand which keeps costs down. Was $250 night for each person. Not sure where above got $125/night, but if he got that he was in on a good deal! The fella that runs it really doesn't care about you is the feeling we got but maybe just me, must be a little sensitive. Be here or not! Kind of the attitude I found. So now I stay on my boat and best thing ever and save a ton of cash not staying in a lodge. I understand you don't have that option. Also, throwing your cleaned fish on the dock close to the fuel barrels made me cringe a bit. Horrible fish cleaning tables.
It is a clean place for the most part. All in all I'd say a 2 too maybe 2.5 star!!

Back