No luck on Cowichan so far

• Thread starter Thread starter fishinmom
  • Start date Start date
F

fishinmom

Hi Guys,

Well, I've been fishing off my friends dock and one rocky private beach for a couple of days now and no luck at all. Not even one bite. UGGH it will really stink to come all the way to Canada and not catch even one fish! I've tried all different bait and rigs. Fishing the top with spinner or spoon and power bait for trout and fishing bottom spoons and power bait. Any other suggestions or do I just need to face it - theyre just not here? Any other really close places by Cowichan/Youbou to fish?

Thanks!

I forgot to add, we will have a boat on Cowichan tomorrow - her hubby's bringing the boat. He's not a big fisherman and never caught on Cowichan. Any suggestions as to good places to try with the boat on this lake? Best time to fish... early morning, late afternoon, mid day? Best depths... fish top of the water or deep? Are the spoons, spinners, and Powerbait (eggs) the right setup?

Thanks for the help!

You need to be 60 to 90 ft down right now , do you know if your friend has a boat with a fish/sounder unit that will read a thermocline ?

If so fish at or under the thermocline with bait imitations such as spoons , small plugs and rapalas in trout colourations.

Use either willow leaf troll in silver/bronze or a Cowichan spoon in bronze ahead of the other gear , troll slow then fast and figure eight once in awhile.

Try up around the islands off of Caycuse camp , also run over and fish in front of Widow Creek.

AL

Well , I was up there last weekend and in only a few hours hooked into a dozen beauties of around 2-5lbs.
They are here, but it is a very tricky lake to hone in on. Not a place for begginers. Sorry to hear you are having a tough go.
Like was said earlier, most fish are taken on what would normally be used offshore for salmon. I was trolling deep at 80' with downriggers and sonar.

Stick near the dropoffs and river mouths. There are always smaller fish present and should feed greedily on worms especially in the evenings once the water comes down.

hope it helps a bit.

If it doesn't , look for shallower warmer nutrient rich lakes. They will often have a full range of coarse fish along with salmonids.

Fuller, Quamichan and Dougan are in your area. Full of fish and easy to hit with power bait or worm.

How long are here for again?

Long weekend and I'll be up that way with the boat doing some fishing myself.

If you had any other questions I'd be happy to swing by and have a look at what your using.

Thanks guys. I wasn't able to get my computer on the network again until now. We were going to use the boat but it didn't work out for her husband to come so I tried a few more times early am and pm from the dock with no luck. We went last night to a place in Cowichan called Little Beach? Still no luck. We decided to head up to a place called Campbell River today and are going to hire a guide. Hoping for some luck with the guide tomorrow! If so, I'll post some pics here.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions :)

Good luck. I would say though that if youre going to go with a guide you would probably do better in Port Renfrew. The water will be a little bigger but many more angling opportunities there in my opinion, more salmon and far better groundfishing. There are a few Renfrew guides that post here, check out the Port Renfrew thread in saltwater fishing.

DSC01361.jpg

there is also a lake at the top end of cowichan (small lake) cant remember the name off hand but it always has lots of smaller fish, maybe someone can remember the name, also have u tried the mouth of shaw creek where it empties into the lake u can hike down to it

Back