Newer optimax vs. 4 strokes

jeffb

There are a few topics on this but they do not necessarily address my question so sorry the new post.

I'm looking at getting into a whaler CC and most have merc optis on them but I'm really set on 4 strokes.... I have read various articles posts etc that claim the optis are very economical and compare to the Yami 4 strokes in most areas.

Can anyone comment on this?

I'm looking at a 26' outrage w twin 150 Opti's and economy, smoke and noise are the obvious reasons I'm looking for the 4 strokes... I would have serious regrets getting into another boat with 2 strokes if they compare to the 150 saltwater series Yami's for example.

I have a 2005 Optimax 135hp (V6) which I think is pretty much the 150 with a diffrent engine map. My Opti is great on fuel I average 8.0GPH doing 28 to 30 miles/per hour on a 2002 trophy pro.

In terms of Smoke, I have no issue at all I have yet to smell anything, I do however run the mercury oil and troll with a 4stroke.
Noise ya, my opti sounds terrible, it's loud enough that you can't have a normal conversation when running, and my old man wears ear protection :), I have heard that newer versions may be better.

Oil consumption is another one, I adveraged about 0.15GPH for this year, I notice a definite increase when running slower in heavy seas, I am pretty sure the engine switches between 50:1 and 100:1 ratio which explains that.

I haven't had the pleasure of running a 4 stroke yet so I can't comment or make a comparison

smoke and noise? Go with an Etec. Both are smoke and noise non existant. The only motor at the Seattle Boat show that can be started indoors!

The new 2 strokes will change the market.

I will take my quiet, smokeless verado 4 stroke any day!! Plus you never have to fill up an oil tank.....

I will take my quiet, smokeless verado 4 stroke any day!! Plus you never have to fill up an oil tank.....

but I never have to do an oil change as a result....a fair trade IMO.

I'd take either if the price was right ;)

I have owned and run commercially , opti s and evinrude etecs and Suzuki 4 stroke. I would install Suzukis hands down. I love the power and response from 2 strokes but the engine life and cost of maintenance do not compare. IMHO

beemer

Love my verado, have to go out back to make sure it's running. oil changes are pricey though,6 liters at allmost $20 per

albernifisher, are you using the mercury verado oil which I believe is a synthetic blend? If this is what your using try picking some up in the states as it can be had for like $8/L.

I have a 25 revenge with a 06 250 yam 4st and burn 10.5 gal per hr at 28-30 mph . Love the motor . Has about 2500 hrs and run perfect . Boat is around 4000lbs hull weight (with out the water logged foam)lol

Check out the camp returns ?

34561703_614.jpg

The 50hp weighs 247 lbs & would push your boat about 25-30mph at wot .
The 75hp is likely too heavy at 399 lbs
Too bad there isn't a 60hp

Those are some great deals..... Two bad they are all four strokes. I have been trying to decide weather to run my yamaha motor into the ground then replace or sell now and go new. Thing is I am looking at putting an offshore bracket on my boat if I do I'd need to buy new cables anyways why not just buy a new motor. For me I think I'd buy a 2 stroke and run a four stroke kicker. Just not sure what brand to buy. I am leaning towards the new mercury 115. I run my boat year round and in some every cold weather so for that reason as well as weight and reliability I'd buy a 2stroke.

I've got a 2 stroke Johnson 90 on my DE16. Fantastic if speed is your thing. But I'd go 50-70 HP if I had to repower. The new Yamaha F70 is extremely light. I think 250 or 260 lbs.

The new Yamaha F70 is extremely light. I think 250 or 260 lbs.

Buddy has one on his boat, he loves it.

$9699 MRSP

Attachments

• F70 YAMAHA.jpg
    F70 YAMAHA.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 435
Last edited by a moderator:
Damn I don't know how you put a 90 on that and not sink it. That' way to heavy on my boat, but maybe the envinrude/johnson 60/90 of those years were similar in weight...

I've got a Yamaha T8 hanging back there too. Suprisingly, it's not that bad. A little stern heavy, but okay. The big motor is a 2 stroke V4 that weighs only about 300 lbs, I believe, while the T8 is about 100.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a Yamaha T8 hanging back there too. Suprisingly, it's not that bad. A little stern heavy, but okay. The big motor is a 2 stroke V4 that weighs only about 300 lbs, I believe, while the T8 is about 100.
I've got a 16.5 D.E. with a 115 Johnson V4,and Honda 8 hp kicker. The V4 is 300 lbs. ,the kicker is 80 lbs.,and I also
run dual batteries. It is definately stern heavy. I'm looking at a 90 Yammy 2 stroke that weigh in at 260 lbs. I figure
with that 40 lb. savings,and getting a bow tank for fuel,that will balance it out really well.

I had a optimax 135 it was a good motor, not much smoke and was pretty quiet. I liked the smell! Anyways no oil changes is nice and they don't burn that much oil. Hands down more power than the four strokes. I would still buy a sukuki four stroke over the opti just my opinion

Back