Newbie - what basic gear?

quote:Originally posted by Pablo2079

LC - Are the VERY light action rods to provide a little give to the fish when they hit?

That is the main reason, plus, I just like light gear (I have a Zebco trout rod I bring out for fun when I'm fishing by myself). The argument for mono is lower visability to the fish (Not important when it is 6' ahead of your bait in front of a flasher), and it has stretch. I don't like the stretch of mono one bit, when I get a hit, I want that line out of the downrigger NOW. I do NOT want to be sitting there tugging it when the tension on the release clip accidently gets set to high. I do not notice loosing very many fish once they are hooked, I attribute this to the low stretch of the Tuff Line, and pre-loading my rods in the downriggers to the point of the rod creaking. That way, when the pin pops, the rod does a damn good job of setting the hook right there.

I then set my drags to just about off, because a fish will tire out running full bore with just your flasher behind him, so there is no sense putting stress on the hook to risk pulling it out. Besides, a nice, 100 yard run with the reel making the cool reel sound creates a very exciting atmosphere for my guests and I, rather then short runs in and out. Gives us more time to see him lunking around below and beside the boat as he tires after a good run.

Anyway, yes, light rods I think are important with braided, but any 11 footer will do. I can't think of a lot of there guys out where I fish that run braided, but it works for me.

I could see it for the charter biz, but come on using 60lb test main line and 40lb test leaders for 12-30 pound fish is a bit over the top don't ya think? And I felt unsporting when I spooled up with 30lb last year.

The reason I use a 60lb main line is because the lesser strength Tuff Lines would break at random using the very thin Fenwick guides on a quick hook set. There wouldn't even have to be anything on the other end, popping a release clip would be enough to do it. The larger line also has as a larger margin of error if it happens to have a damaged spot that I don't see.

The other reason I use 60lb is so I don't have to mess with it, and if I get my lines fouled in the kelp, I stand an excellent chance of getting my gear back. Rather then stop, pull gear, and troll back, I can just winch it out of the kep, worse case scenerio is that I loose a teaser head, but a few swift strokes of the rod will usually just cut the kelp with the line. I also don't have to mention what happens to nylon line when it comes foulded with a steel dowrigger cable, Tough Line will live through that as well.

I don't think that sporting even comes into it regarding line strengths, anything that can break a 20lb leader will break a 40, with a 40 you have a better chance of pulling the hook out and the fish swimming away rather then him breaking your leader and dying tring to pull teaser head, flasher and hardware around.

That write up by Iron noggin, that gomphus posted is one of the best and most informative write ups on fishing Alberni Inlet that I have seen.For someone to take the time, and post all that experience,and gear info,is usually unheard of.I have fished the inlet off and on for 30 years,and it took a lot of trial and error to figure out most of those combos,times and locations.We actually were some of the first sporties to target sockeyes in the inlet.That stuff is deadly accurate,and I even picked up some info from that post,Thanks for sharing.DAN

Back