Newbie looking to get into fly fishing - need everything

WhiteRabbit

I think from the moment I could walk, I was fishing. But we ended up out west when I was 12 and I barely fished living in the mountains. 16 years later and I find myself in Victoria with fishing on the mind.

I can't afford to go out and buy everything new, so I heard this might be the place to ask. From chatting with people, sounds like I'd like a 6-8 pound setup that is about 9ft. Open to recommendations. I'd like to fish lakes and rivers around Victoria and up island.

Basically I need it all. Rod, reel, lines, waders, nets, vests, flies, etc.

If you have old but working gear that you are willing to part ways with for a fly fishing newbie at an affordable price, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum, if you are fishing rivers and lakes you probably want a 6 wt, any more, and it will be to heavy for stillwater trout, but 6 wt is really light for rivers, especially if you are chasing steel head. I have some neoprene waders, and felt wading boots that are size 10.5-11 They dont fit me anymore, so if you want them we could probably arrange something. I also have a small net you could have, and possibly a reel and some flies. No line though. I have been fly fishing for 2 years so I recently upgraded my gear. So I do have some lightly used stuff. PM me if you are interested.

kunni

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum, if you are fishing rivers and lakes you probably want a 6 wt, any more, and it will be to heavy for stillwater trout, but 6 wt is really light for rivers, especially if you are chasing steel head. I have some neoprene waders, and felt wading boots that are size 10.5-11 They dont fit me anymore, so if you want them we could probably arrange something. I also have a small net you could have, and possibly a reel and some flies. No line though. I have been fly fishing for 2 years so I recently upgraded my gear. So I do have some lightly used stuff. PM me if you are interested.

kunni

Kunni.....You have out grown your size 11 boots? Lippy should be careful teasing these freshwater kids ;)

Wecome White Rabbit! Let us know how your search goes. I have some troutin flies for lakes that I would be happy to give you if you are serious.

PM me

cheers

yes, I have been doing ALOT of growing lately

kunni

Kunni.....You have out grown your size 11 boots? Lippy should be careful teasing these freshwater kids ;)

If he has I might have some old 12's for him ;)

What size are ya WhiteR I have a surplus of waders here.. As for flea sticks, there has been a couple graphite malfunctions this year so those are at a premium right now. Might be able to scrape up a line/reel if dug through the boxes

Thanks Lippy, I dont know when i will be river fishing next, but next time I go out which will be in the summer I might be interested. Possibly trade for a batch of flies? I have been focusing most of my efforts on the lakes. Still trying to figure out those chronomids.

kunni

I dont know when i will be river fishing next,

You do know you are missing out on steelhead season don't you? Far better than freezing the buns off for some slow stocker trout at the lake... Que sera :p

I know, I would really love to get some steel but its difficult for me to get out on the rivers
kunni

I've got a reel and a net for you whiterabbit. No charge. Might have some other stuff that can helping you get set up. You able to pick up?

No Dave..... There is a charge... charge him $40 and enter him to your club ;)

Back