New to the Ocean

John N

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself to the group! I recently picked up a Monterey 214 FSC (cuddy cabin) equipped with a Mercruiser 5.0 MPI and it's my first boat.

I wanted to get a boat that I could take to the lake and also into the ocean.

It was my first time in the ocean with this boat this past weekend (beautiful weather) and I launched at Vanier Park and toured around the False Creek and Vancouver Harbour area.

Though the day was beautiful when I got to the burrard inlet (wanted to go to horshoebay) the water was quite choppy. Even though it was sunny clear skies and low wind. Just wondering if that is normal?

Apologies I am still very green to the scene.

Any tips and location recommendations are greatly appreciated.

John

Welcome. It is pretty common for it to be a clear day but windy, and a lot of times you will have next to no wind on land but when you get out on the ocean it's blowing. You also have some swells in certain areas rolling in from wind further offshore.

I would definitely recommend getting Sailflow or Windy app for your phone. They aren't perfect but it gives you a good idea on what wind conditions to expect.

Hi John & Welcome!

Yes the bay is a funny place lots of water coming & going it's a smart move to keep your eyes open & be conservative in terms of your goals.

Thanks for the tip! I will be sure to download those apps.

Any advice for someone new to the ocean? I'm still sticking closer to the coast lines when I am at sea.

Wondering if my first destination should be horshoebay or up the Indian arm.

Next month I'll have the boat dry stacked at Milltown.

If your boat didn't come with it you should also pick up a plotter/sounder that has the navigation charts in it. There are lots of scary reefs and rocks out in the ocean to be aware of.

My boat did not come with a plotter/sounder. Any recommendations?

Yes I do have my pleasure craft operator card and everything is licensed and insured! Was actually inspected by VPD when I tied up at Granville Island.

They inspected everything!

I have spent a lot of time in Indian arm and it is beautful, decent crabbing, good sight seeing and usually don't have to worry about the weather.

Heres what I have and use for navigation.

Navionics boating app is a must as well as a backup GPS/plotter/depthsounder hard mounted in the boat.

Here is my list of weather apps/links I use.

Store these links with ur apps on phone.

https://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e.html?mapID=03&siteID=14305

http://www.bigwavedave.ca/forecasts.php

Download these apps.
Windy
Predict wind
Windfinder
Wind alert

Seems like a lot, but I always look at everything and make an informed decision when heading out I the straight.

Good luck and stay safe!

Another huge factor is the tidal current. The wind apps are useful to understand the strength/direction of the wind. Then you've gotta understand the tidal current and how the wind will interact. Wind against tide is going to give you steep choppy seas. You may have encountered this to some degree on the weekend if you were near the Lions Gate Bridge before 11am because there was a huge ebb in the morning. Even out in the Straight the current and wind can have a surprising effect.

My boat did not come with a plotter/sounder. Any recommendations?

Yes I do have my pleasure craft operator card and everything is licensed and insured! Was actually inspected by VPD when I tied up at Granville Island.

They inspected everything!

Welcome! A lot of great info shared here already. As far as the chart plotter there is a thread started with a pretty good amount of info on the first page on the Saltwater forum "New chartplotter/sounder" have a look there.

My boat certainly is only good for the ocean in fair weather conditions. I do understand a 22 ft boat, even with an enclosed bow, may not handle the chops of the ocean all that well.

We certainly got thrown around this past weekend under the lions gate bridge, and it was 24 degrees without a cloud in sight.

However I've seen some open bow aluminum boats go pretty far from shore with pretty small engines. Go figure.

The turbulent waters under that bridge is one of the wildest in the entire coast. Don’t underestimate esp. in a swing tide, like the one last weekend.

Great tips from this board. Pineapple Express has good pointers for wind and current analysis.

Thanks for the tip! I will be sure to download those apps.

Any advice for someone new to the ocean? I'm still sticking closer to the coast lines when I am at sea.

Wondering if my first destination should be horshoebay or up the Indian arm.

Next month I'll have the boat dry stacked at Milltown.

Bear in mind if keeping the boat at Milltown if you get the wrong combination of wind and tide coming out of the North Arm it can be pretty dangerous; not knowing what your hull is like it looks like the Monterey is suited a bit more for calmer waters.

If heading for Horseshoe Bay bear in mind you can get outflows coming down Howe Sound that can make that area pretty snotty not to mention if a good NW wind is blowing in which is pretty common this time of year. If there is a good wind blowing in stay away from Point Atkinson as the waves can stack up there pretty bad.

For your first foray I would advise on Indian Arm.

As for a chart plotter......you definitely want one!! Cheapest way to go is if you have a tablet you can get the Navonics app on it and there are lots of option on Amazon for mounts to have it sitting at your helm.

As was mentioned earlier taking the Power Squadron course is a VERY good idea. The Operator's Card although mandatory to operate a boat is a bit of a joke of a certification. If one of your 25 questions is should you operate your boat after drinking or something to that effect......well.....enough said. ;):D

As others have mentioned it can be a bit hairy under Lion's Gate bridge; lots of water moving through there with the changing tides. You get wind coming in with a tide change and you can get bounced around pretty good.

Bear in mind if keeping the boat at Milltown if you get the wrong combination of wind and tide coming out of the North Arm it can be pretty dangerous; not knowing what your hull is like it looks like the Monterey is suited a bit more for calmer waters.

If heading for Horseshoe Bay bear in mind you can get outflows coming down Howe Sound that can make that area pretty snotty not to mention if a good NW wind is blowing in which is pretty common this time of year. If there is a good wind blowing in stay away from Point Atkinson as the waves can stack up there pretty bad.

For your first foray I would advise on Indian Arm.

As for a chart plotter......you definitely want one!! Cheapest way to go is if you have a tablet you can get the Navonics app on it and there are lots of option on Amazon for mounts to have it sitting at your helm.

As was mentioned earlier taking the Power Squadron course is a VERY good idea. The Operator's Card although mandatory to operate a boat is a bit of a joke of a certification. If one of your 25 questions is should you operate your boat after drinking or something to that effect......well.....enough said. ;):D

As others have mentioned it can be a bit hairy under Lion's Gate bridge; lots of water moving through there with the changing tides. You get wind coming in with a tide change and you can get bounced around pretty good.

Awesome response!!

I most certainly will Google the Power Squadron course. You are correct the Monterey 214fsc is suited for calmer waters. Okay in the ocean and some minor waves but certainly not a boat to take too far offshore. I want to get experience with this boat first before upgrading to a 30ft boat that is more suited for fishing.

John, you are wise to take it easy until you build up some experience and your confidence. Many of the folks on this forum have been boating and fishing since we were kids, so you will get some priceless advice. Some have earlier provided you with the essential cautions on wind, current and tides. Keep your equipment well maintained and check it before you head out. Especially watch fuel and batteries. Have all your safety gear handy and in good order. Wear a life vest. Buddy boating is a great idea when you start out. Start in good weather and stay close to home in the beginning. Keep asking questions and read as much as you can.

BTW: a 30 foot boat is absolutely not necessary or even desirable for fishing on our coast.

The winds have been strong recently, the charter boats (Bon Chovi) commented this morning that calm winds are finally arriving. They leave out of Granville Island.

Just to second Foxsea one doesn't necessarily need a very large boat to fish most areas. Except for far offshore on the west coast a 22' boat that has a reliable motor and a backup outboard can be used to access almost all the best fishing. If you have little boating experience both Power Squadron courses and time on the water will build your confidence. I am pretty conservative about taking any risks at all for fishing, but I have a 16' boat and find it safe and capable. Its very important, as many people here have pointed out, to learn how to judge tidal currents and winds from forecasts and conditions you encounter and to be very cautious until you are fairly competent at it. Enjoy your boat and good luck fishing!

@John N

Some more good responses for you above. :cool:

I think one thing to bear in mind that you hear from all out on the water is to respect Mother Ocean as she can be wicked some times and is full of power; you're at her mercy. If you ever find yourself questioning where to go due to conditions or "should I"; being new to boating (even long salty tooths do the same) it's not worth putting yourself or your crew in a potentially dangerous situation. There will always be another day to get out if you have to turn back, not even go out or question whether or not you should run an area of water as you gain more confidence in being on the ocean and the potential limits of your boat.

Last edited:
Good advise Pip's !
Always fear her destructive power and never get too comfortable..

No kidding. Just a month ago we were fishing the inside waters among the rocks off Tofino where in and amongst the reefs/rocks there is always some turbulence. We got hit on the port side bow with a big surge/wave that left me with some boat bruises (a real good one right on my sternum :oops:) and a hell of a mess down below to clean up. We were all just looking at each other with that "WTF" look in our eyes trying to figure out where that came from.

Back