New power.

Mighty Sylvan

I currently have the original power on my 1997 boat. The motor is a 225 hp 2 stroke Merc. My first choice would be a 250hp Yamaha 4 stroke but it seems 225 hp motors are more common.

I wonder if any of you have experience with 2 stroke to 4 stroke repowers? Will I see a noticeable lack of power on acceleration with a 225 hp 4stroke?

The difference in price between a new 225 and 250 Yam is about $1000 and weight is the same. What is your boat rated for? Go with the max.

Yep you will, Ive never gone from 2 to 4 stroke power on the same boat but I know some people that have.
You could get away with 25hp jump but you almost need 50hp.

Have you considered an E-tec 2 stroke in 225/250 hp? A little lighter than a Yam (525 vrs 558lbs) and lots of people seem to like them. The new ones anyway.

The difference in price between a new 225 and 250 Yam is about $1000 and weight is the same. What is your boat rated for? Go with the max.

I would like to buy a newer but used outboard. (2005-2009) It seems what I find online is more often 225 HP. My boat is rated for 300 HP.

Have you considered an E-tec 2 stroke in 225/250 hp? A little lighter than a Yam (525 vrs 558lbs) and lots of people seem to like them. The new ones anyway.

I have looked into E-Tecs and I think they are a great motor from what I have researched but I just want to get away from the oil. Weight is not an issue for my boat. It was manufactured to handle twins.

300 zuki,,and done :]

You run the Zuki I guess. What is it that you like about them. I have heard that they are a great motor and that Breakers are good to deal with. Everybody in Bamfield and Ukee seem to be running Zuks. I'm not fixed on any one manufacturer I just want value.

You run the Zuki I guess. What is it that you like about them. I have heard that they are a great motor and that Breakers are good to deal with. Everybody in Bamfield and Ukee seem to be running Zuks. I'm not fixed on any one manufacturer I just want value.

I used to wonder why I'd see lots of Susukis in Ukee/Bamfield and Tahsis as I recall ( I think John @westview is a Zuki dealer) but despite what motor one desires if the dealer in a small town markets those motors and offers service and parts on them , thats why you will see lots of em there. Not to say they are not good motors anyway ( some ike IFL may feel otherwise ;-) but if they marketed and serviced Honda for example or Evi Etech, you'd probably see the towns full of those .

i have a 2003 90hp 4 stroke suzuki on my 18' aluminum, it's been a great motor, westcoast resorts ran them for a year at their whale/milbanke lodge and had very few problems, mechanic didn't have much to do. i'm curious about the problems you have seen lastchance??

hmmm, that's what i thought! haven't heard any bad about the small v6's myself, or from marpole marine (suzuki mechanic and dealer in van)

I know of a couple guys with recurring head problems (On this site and a local guide in Victoria), a couple guys with oil use problems that they are dealing with, and one out of a pair that chucked a rod, all recent motors. But the main problem is on some of them the damn head just won't stay seated. In the 4 cycl world, a few older ones had camshaft problems that I found at random on the Internet, but otherwise, the Suzuki 4 bangers have been great. All makes have problems, and the 200-250 had several that I have seen first hand. Now, these are all on guide boats, I don't know if Joe Sportie would run enough to cause them, but that is what I have observed.

I have twin 250 Zukes and have had nothing but problems with one while the other has never missed a beat. I think they all have theyre lemons.. it just appears to be a crap shoot! I know many people who swear by the Zukes, but the Yamahas are way more common im my neck of the woods.. Id probably go with the Yamaha 250 if I had it to do again.

I have twin 150 yamis on my 25 Grady, I have over 1500 hrs on each one without a hiccup. These are guide hours over four years, I love them and would recommend yamis to anyone after seeing what they have done for me. That being said I also have a buddy that has twin 200 Zukes with over 1600 on each of them with little to no trouble at all with them. Like what was stated earlier, go with an engine that can be services locally that way if you have problems or need help you are not running all over the place for parts or someone to fix it.

Back