New boat advice

I am in the market for a new boat and looking for some advice. I had a 19 foot I/O fibreglass with Cuddy before. I spend most of my time fishing in Sooke area, and sometimes Barkley Sound, alberni, and Port Renfrew. I am looking for something a little bigger in the 20-22 ft range, which I can tow easily, and also with a hardtop. I used to live in the Okanagan for a few years and now on the Island for just 2, so fishing here is still pretty new to me and any advice is appreciated! A Cuddy for storage is nice.

I've thought about going with an aluminum, as it seems a lot easier to keep clean! I was thinking of something like a Hewescraft 200 OceanPro or SeaRunner, or similarly a Harbercraft 2025. Any thoughts on these?

I've also been looking at at the 21 Ft Arima Sea Ranger. I fished in a 19 arima recently and liked the ride and stability, and was surprised.

I know a lot of people are not fond of Trophy's (but they seem to have come a long way in the last 10 years), but there are some good deals available on the 2152 hardtop. It has a I/O though which I have been happy with in the past but it does take away some fishing space.

Any advice on these boats or others that are similar and recommended is appreciated. My price range is 45-60 for something new.

If i had that kinda money i would be investing it in a aluminum boat, check out boats in the US ( oregon , washington area) theres lotsa great deals to be had!!!

That 22 Hewescraft Ocean pro is a big boat for it's size. I almost bought a brand new one before I found my current battleship which I bought used.

I talked extensively with the good folks at Tom & Jerry's in Washington and they are excellent to talk to. Low pressure, good pricing, and know their boats for rigging etc. Probably the best Hewes dealer in Washington.

Another really nice boat in that range is the Weldcraft Coastal King. The new ones have higher sides and a new upswept bow design. Great boats and nicer than the Hewes IMO.

I have crawled around on my fair share of aluminums and the Harbourcrafts just don't turn my crank at all for construction and interior finish. Again JMO.

It is best that you do your homework and don't rush it. There are lot's of different opinions out there especially in the production welded aluminum boat market lol. You will find out what I mean when you start asking. Take it all in and make your own decision.

Aluminum is great for resale value, fuel economy, strength, and in some cases less maintenance. In that price range you should be able to get into a fairly outfitted boat.

Cheers and good luck,
Sculpin

Last edited by a moderator:
When I bought my 22 ocean king(weldcraft) I was concerned about having a wooden with vinyl floor. All the aluminum boats I have run before all had aluminum floors. I wanted aluminum floors but it just cost even more money. Now that I have had wood floors in my boat for a few years I can say I am very pleased with them. They are quieter and warmer thatn strait aluminum floors. It certainly helps keep the cab warm. My 2 cents on that. Did I say I love my weldcraft.

personally i wouldn't even look at i/o or anything with a 2 stroke regardless of make or year. brunswick bought out bayliner making the trophy pro, there a good functional boat. seaswirl make a good product also a affordable choice. you'll get more bang for your buck with glass over aluminum. there are also some refitted (podded) hurstons around that are great.

25 years I have been trading my way up and often down. For the first time I have a machine I am truly happy with. I could wright a book on why I ordered what I did in the end. But for what it's worth....
21' Thunderjet Chinook, Yamaha outboard, full hard top, incredible boat for its size!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345231463.861800.jpg

Ive had a aluminum boat for the last 10 years, and for durability,ease of towing, ease of boat launching, cleaning, fuel economy they are a great choice. Glass boats offer a lot of pluses as well.
I would look at North River, Hewes, Thunderjet, Lifetimer, Harbourcraft & I don't totally agree with Sculpin, yes from what I looked at a few years ago in the 18' to 20' range Harborcrafts were pretty plain but as a blanket statement the fit and finish of the the Harbourcraft Kingfisher is 2nd to none and have leading edge technology with there Preflex Hulls.
Good luck

I bought a new Thunderjet and love it! A little rougher than a glass boat but still great overall boat.

Attachments

• OmanII.jpg
    OmanII.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 771
Last edited by a moderator:
Go with tin--love the fishing room in my 20ft Alumaweld. Easily fish 3 without poking an elbow in someones face. Seats 6 in total.
Downside- aluminum does not ride as nice as glass at this length-- but being retired, if its that rough, I wait for a better day.

I have been selling and trading boats to work my way up. Last month just sold my stabicraft (nice boats) it was the 7 boat I rigged and sold in the last 5 years. I now have enough capital to by a custom build welded boat. I'm looking at building a boat for fishing camping and cruising that can be trailered with a Tacoma so 5000lbs total weight boat motor trailer. I'm close to signing the deal with TYLER BOATS in the Washington it's not your fancy cookie cutter looking boat but it is tough as nails with a commercial fishing boat look which I like. Painted floors and inside the house NO paint on the hull was my choose less to worry about. So far the design is a 21 foot catamaran with a rear house. The house will have a walk around also. Over the last few years I have really noticed how much time I seat at the helm with a rubber neck looking back at the rods. So why not mount your riggers and rods infront of you that's why I went with rear house. Have any of you guy fished or been in a bow picker boat? Thoughts of rear house?

Thanks
Jac

In that price range I would be looking at Grady White Gulfstreams that are 5-10 years old. You could find one at the bottom of your price range and invest some money in having the entire boat looked over and updated with anything it needs.

Here just one example in ukee http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/boa/3171950959.html . That type boat is perfect for your fishing areas and also is well equipped to fish offshore if you wanted to in the future.

The Grady weighs 4500# dry. Might be a struggle to tow rigged and with the 600 liters of gas.

Back