need help

ive had the calcutta 400b for a year now and started to notice the casting was not as good lately so last night i took it apart an oiled the bearings but today when i fished it the casting was half as good ... what do i do?

first of all...the spool on the real should b loaded 2 the tits with line.that ensures long smooth casts with light gear.if u took it right appart...u might have problems cause theres lots of little gears washers spacers and bearings..if not put bak together properly..well..u get it.
i would prob. bring it in 2 get looked over by some1 who knows.
and its always nice 2 have another real kickin round 4 moments such as this(cause its prob. killin ya 2 know some1 is fishin and your not)LOL

shakes

spinnin pinnin and grinnin

Oil on the bearings or grease?

Oil is fine if it's replaced regularly, I use Rocket Fuel and have to keep things well oiled.

There's also the pawl gear, as it travels back and forth it can pick up crud, flip the reel over and have a good look make sure it clean/oiled.

Alan Tani's site has a tutorial on the Calcutta 400 have a look http://alantani.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=q2tkrp5u33re0252467dfpv472&board=9.0

EDIT-Also be sure to clean all the old lubricant off any petroleum solvent will do I use lighter fluid.

Someone once said that automatic transmission fluid is the best lubricant you can use and of course a litre of it will last a lifetime.

billreidsalmon.jpg

Sorry, it's called the "cast control spacers". Part #BNT0009. There's two or three in there. Leave one and save the rest someplace safe for spares.

thanks guys... i think im going to sent it to a guy in vancouver(suggested by the guy at port alberni gone fishin) to get it serviced ... im kinda happy in a way it gives me an excuse to buy an islander centerpin and rod while mine is being worked on

Center pins are outside my zone, buut bc reels I'm pretty familair with.

When you took your spool out did you re-time your line? This can cause fubar casting and backlash problems. Again disassemble the handle-side from the frame, just pull the spool far enough to disengage the levelwind, pull line from the spool until it matches both the location of the levelwind and the direction the line comes off to the direction the levelwind will travel.

On full-time synchro levelwinds, never grease the wormgear if you're casting with the reel. Use only the lightest oil or WD40 as lube, and with WD40, re-lube after 2-4 days of use. Going with heavy oil, unless you're tossing 3/4oz++ regularly, will slow the levelwind just enough to make a noticable difference. Especially if it's cold. WD40 will run into or work itself into the end bushings. Good, just don't overdo it.

Oil the bearings, grease the maingear. The AR bearing should be cleaned and re-lubed lightly with grease. My favorite grease for most apps is wheel bearing grease. It's extremely sticky and doesn't separate or migrate. Keep a light touch on the grease & oil. Another good grease is a tube of Lucas Red Chassis grease. It protects against salt as well, but doesn't stick as well as wheel bearing grease. Both are extreme-pressure greases designed for extreme use and work very well. I've been re-lubing reels for 45 years and tried a lot of lubes. I like Penn oil, Shimano Drag Grease and wheel bearing grease best, with WD40 for synchro levelwinds.

Chances are you mis-timed your line on your spool. Simple fix.

Good Luck & Merry Christmas!

your gna love that centre pin....nothing compares..just u and the fish..no gears inbetween.not sure if u have ever used a pin b4..dont get discouraged.we have all went thru spools and spools of line.

what i did when i first started throwin a pin was i went and bought 900 yrds of cheaper 15lb mono..cause when the rats nest gets 2 bad it..just cut it out.and i spent lots of time on the flow untangling line(no fun).and go with a good size float and weight so your not struggling 2 get a cast.

in your spare time in your bak yard or the field..grab your rod and put nothin but a good chunk of lead on and go practice.it could save u a lot of down time on the rvr.

i hope this helps u youngsteelheader.and maybe well c u on the flow.

shakes
spinnin pinnin and grinnin:D

fished the upper stamp today parking at the falls campground and hiked up. didnt catch anything but was blown away by how technical the centerpin fishing is. it took me about 3 hours to get the feel for the casting but i can see why dave steel at highwater tackle told me the stamp is a hard river to drift with that setup. the water was high and i was up to my chest trying to get out of the bush. but man when i got my float out there i was blown away by the amount of control i had over my drift.... cant wait to catch one...

i know most of the knowledgable guys on this site r kinda "lockjaw" about answering questions regarding to small streams with wid steelhead for good reasons of keeping the crowds of of these delicate systems, but how are guys like myself who have no fishing buddies supposed to get information about island streams. it seems like the guys at gone fishin are great at givin u there photocopy map of the stamp and if i wanted to shoot something they know all about that, but when it comes to real steelhead fishing there useless. just wanted to ask about toq... river any advice on time would be nice

dave steele eh???is that where u bought your rod and pin???daves built a couple of my sage rods...good man and a great shop.not 2 get of topic but i have 1 4 sale.12 ft 4120b baitcast drift rod.barely used.i bought it 4 the thompson rvr some years ago.it comes with an abu garcia 6500c4..loaded with brand new 20lb maxima..this year.(i was supposed 2 go 2 the kispiox with a friend..he jammed on me).$400.00 for the combo.reason 4 selling...i nvr use it.im always runnin my islander.

id b willing 2 take any1 out... who would jump on a centre pin after there first year fishin...that tells alot about a guy.cause thats what i did!!!

shakes
spinnin pinnin and grinnin:D

Hi Younngsteelheader, Just do what we did growing up, fill up your back pack with gear, pay attention to where other guys are fishing, look for gear in trees or banks,talk to guys, get out as much as possible, gas up the truck and let the bush bash begin. Over time you will find consistent spots where to bang on them, right down to what rock the fish will hide behind under certain water conditions. With steelheading it all comes down to time spent, eventually the goose eggs will go away and you will consistently catch fish almost every trip.Sounds like you have been bit hard by the fishing bug, right on. Good Luck!!
You should have a PM....

quote:Originally posted by youngsteelheader

i know most of the knowledgable guys on this site r kinda "lockjaw" about answering questions regarding to small streams with wid steelhead for good reasons of keeping the crowds of of these delicate systems, but how are guys like myself who have no fishing buddies supposed to get information about island streams. it seems like the guys at gone fishin are great at givin u there photocopy map of the stamp and if i wanted to shoot something they know all about that, but when it comes to real steelhead fishing there useless. just wanted to ask about toq... river any advice on time would be nice
Like Luna said you're probably going to have to learn about other rivers like the "knowledgable guys" did.Get a map of backroads and go put your time in. When you figure a new river out there's some much more satisfaction than getting some map from a tackle store.

X3 on the learning by doing program.

Thats what most of the older types on this and other forums did. No internet way back then - imagine that! Perhaps thats why many (including me) are simply not willing to post locations on any site. For me, I've learned my favorite spots through lots of sweat, skunkings, gas bills, and eventually experience, so somehow it just seems wrong to give them up so easily.

The other factor is that small, wilderness, unenhanced steelhead systems are fragile. The reason some of them continue to produce fish is simply because the access is difficult and the pressure is light. In my experience the fish in smaller systems without a lot of angling pressure tend to be pretty dumb, especially summers. As a lot of these systems tend to be remote, and therefore virtually impossible to provide consistent enforcement effort on, they are vulnerable to the less ethical pratcicioners of our sport. There are some pretty grim examples of these types of impacts on SW Vancouver Island, and their populations remain depressed today - once a system is fu&*ed up, it can be a long road to recovery.

Perosnally, I find the Backroad Mapbooks useful in that for the most part, they are pretty accurate in terms of what species are actually present in any give flow. The next step is to check the regs and make sure that you actually can legally fish that flow at the time you want to go, and on some systems what you can legally use for gear.

Once you determine that what you're after may actually exist in any given flow, and that you can go after it legally (a decent indicator that there will be catchable numbers present) then its up to you to find out when, and precisely where they may actually be caught. Of course, seeing signs of angling activity is perhaps the most obvious indicator, but not always the best ;)

And now the fun begins! Explore, explore, explore. The sense of accomplishment in hooking your first fish from a new system is perhaps one of the coolest moments in angling IMHO.

Good luck youngsteelehader, and have fun.

Gooey

and remember....just cause your fishin a huge system..doesnt mean cause your on this side the fish r on that side.most fish i get r right off the end of my rod tip.when i guided in the north island it was amazing how clients always want 2 fish the opposite side there standing on.so like UNKNOWN says..just concentrate on gettin short well placed casts.;)

now im gna grab my islander and head 2 the falls pool:D

shakes

spinnin pinnin and grinnin

it just seems odd that knowone ever looks at this from the other perspective. its true that back in your guys day there was no internet yet back then almost all rivers on the island had significant steelhead runs. i started steelhead fishing 3 years ago and have only bonked 3 fish(released approx 50). back in your day u probably killed your limit every trip and everyone wonders where all the fish went. im not pointing fingers at anyone or putting blame im just stating that the factors of steelhead fishing 25 years ago have no significance to today. isnt the whole point of this site to ask questions anyways?

quote:Originally posted by youngsteelheader

it just seems odd that knowone ever looks at this from the other perspective. its true that back in your guys day there was no internet yet back then almost all rivers on the island had significant steelhead runs. i started steelhead fishing 3 years ago and have only bonked 3 fish(released approx 50). back in your day u probably killed your limit every trip and everyone wonders where all the fish went. im not pointing fingers at anyone or putting blame im just stating that the factors of steelhead fishing 25 years ago have no significance to today. isnt the whole point of this site to ask questions anyways?
Just because some rivers are not what they were 25 years ago isn't going to keep me at home!! Get out there, get confidaent and comfortable with your skills and the fish will come.
Rivers are a lot more fragile than the chuck and guys will NOT just give up info. They don't call it fishing the zipper mouth for nothing.
There is waaayyy too much info out there already in this day and age which makes me barff at times.Go do your homework and bushbashing.This site is about asking questions and geting info but don't expect a compass heading into the money hole. Now go youngblood.
You say you have hit 53 steelies in your first 3 years of steelheading, you are on the right track.
Trolling?

Hey Youngsteelheader - I'm not sure I caught any steelies in my first couple years of steelheading... 53?! Sounds like you should be giving us advice! ;)

Back