Navionics Charts Coverage _ Help Needed

jimbob

I am trying to determine whether the Navionics chip in my Lowrance LCX 18C will cover the Nootka Sound area. It appears that I have a chip called: 13xg.13

The chip has detailed information for the area that I normally fish (Victoria to Port Renfrew). However when I use the cursor to move to Nootka Sound (or other areas outside of vcitoria to Port Renfrew) I don't get the same level of detail on the screen. Instead I get some very rudamentary mapping which is not suitable for navigation or fishing.

Two questions:

1. Does my chip cover Nootka Sound?

2. If so, how do I activate the actual detailed map for Nootka on my Lowrance LCX 18c?

Look in your manual to find out how to load the chart for that area.
On mine it's menu - map data - down arrow till you get to the charts.
Doing this from memory so it could be wrong.

The just of it is that the charts require a lot of memory so they have them in separate files.
You have to load a new one into memory to get it to work when you go to new places.
You would think the the software programers would make it happen automatically but they don't.
Could be the programers know nothing about boating.
GLG

i have the navionics gold. almost all of the maps are coded and i cant find the ones i want. where can i find a list of the codes to go along with the area they are for? didn't come with the chip and cant find it anywhere on the net

Navionics: Selecting Chart Regions

1. Press MENU
2. Scroll down to Map Data
3. Press ENT
4. Scroll down to Navionics Map Choice
5. Press ENT
6. Scroll down to the region wanted:
- 190 - Sound East Vancouver Island
- 191 - North East Vancouver Island
- 192 - West Coast Vancouver Island
- 696 - Puget Sound South
- 697 - Puget Sound North
- 705 - Port Renfrew Detail
7. Press ENT to select highlighted region
8. Press EXIT | EXIT

F D

I have the same card. On my Lowrance H2O I have to select the specific area that I want. On My Humminbird 788 all the areas are loaded immediately. As "GLG" noted it is probably a memory issue.

Thats one thing I like about Humminbird,and the screen is easier to read for me too.When I mount both units I rarely look at the Lowrance.

Also with the new Gold SD card I was informed that they are missing some bottom contours ...sure enough....my hali holes were missing.So I will wait till they update to the canadian standards.

I'm using a lowrance lcx 27. The unit has been great for years but this chip is bogging it right down. When I go into navionics map choice I can pick
Lowrance
Lake Erie
Pungent sound south
Juan de Fuca straight
Then the rest are coded
1g747s.nv2
1g770xl.nv2
And so on. I tried a bunch with 190's in the code and I'm not seeing any areas in bc come up
When I select Juan de Fuca it brings up the area and works good. When I pick any other area they don't appear on the map, just the standard background map does.

Also with the new Gold SD card I was informed that they are missing some bottom contours ...sure enough....my hali holes were missing.So I will wait till they update to the canadian standards.

That is exactly what one of the guys from Harbour Chandler told me at the boat show. He said hang on to the 13x.

That is exactly what one of the guys from Harbour Chandler told me at the boat show. He said hang on to the 13x.

I thought Dane (HC) told me it was because of CHS moving to align with international "standards". It seems unclear, but I would hold on to any older chart chips until the smoke clears.

i was just informed by lowrance that the new navionics gold are not working in a lot of older units. i have a lcx 19 and 27 and the chip will not work. awsome. now its find an older chip or get new units. any advice?

This is aboslutely right. Hang on to your old Navioncis gold and platinum chips! The new ones (even the new platinum plus) have less detail and bottom contours. Why? Because the Fed Govt. is cutting back on the level of detail in the digital charts they make available (which all the chart vendors have to use).

Why? Cost cutting measure I guess as the new international shipping requirements for mapping only need the deepest contours and the shallowest, with not much detail in between as big ships don't really need this info. All I know is that the Feds have the detailed contours data, our tax dollars paid for it, but they aren't letting us use it anymore. Got to like it eh - NOT! :mad:

So can I get a paper chart that has full detail? I am really dissapointed with my platinum plus chip I paid good money for this. You look on the american side and there is great detail on all areas including border bank then you scroll to the border and right at the border a ton of bottom contours just stop. They are on the american side but not the canadian. There is more then twice the detail on the US side yet the chip is called vancouver island.

I want my money back.

This is aboslutely right. Hang on to your old Navioncis gold and platinum chips! The new ones (even the new platinum plus) have less detail and bottom contours. Why? Because the Fed Govt. is cutting back on the level of detail in the digital charts they make available (which all the chart vendors have to use).

Why? Cost cutting measure I guess as the new international shipping requirements for mapping only need the deepest contours and the shallowest, with not much detail in between as big ships don't really need this info. All I know is that the Feds have the detailed contours data, our tax dollars paid for it, but they aren't letting us use it anymore. Got to like it eh - NOT! :mad:

Thank you Mr Harper.

Harbor chandler just sold me a new gold chip. Last model before the newest one for 150. They said it will work on my x27 and will have all the detail.

Back