Nanaimo - Spring / Summer 2014

Sculpin

I thought we should start a new thread as it is spring and the fishing should pick up any week now.

Can we make this one a sticky please?

Heard a couple of decent reports. I going to try to get out one evening this week to test out the new transducer and hopefully put something in the boat:).

Hoping to get out as well this week as the weather is looking nice! Now I just have to put my kicker head, valves, intake etc back together lol

Hi All,
New the Qualicum area, seeking advice on two counts: kings and prawns. Any tips for lures, depth, location between Hornby, Lasqueti and Ballenas Isles much appreciated!
Went out yesterday; great calm day, but skunked. Fellow fisher said to look for 200-300' trenches around NW Lasqueti, using green/white/black/glowing hoochies. Hope to
try there Saturday.
Tha

ety4a7uq.jpg
good way to knock that east coast skunk off your boat !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
But then come in to the table at brechin to all undersized crab come on a 4 inch crab really next time I'm crabbing I'm gonna keep a carapace and pin it up at the launch to show a LEGAL crab and also pretty sure your supposed to keep the carapace until your at your place of residence

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup I have seen the undersized crabs in the gut box a few times now at breccin, what a joke crabbing is good right now no need to poach...not even a bite for me yesterday but I forgot my bait in the freezer at home, care to let us know the secret weapon there Jlewis?, in other news I think my prawning gear is starting to pay off :)

we were off of brickyards about a couple miles out, not even a sniff, tried spoons n hootchies..062.jpglanded on a few jumbo prawns anyway .. probably go out again sunday and leave the prawngear at home and concentrate on the salmon...gotta get the skunk off my Islander..

haha you bet..Fugly is hard to miss... quite a few boats out yesterday not to many hoisting nets.. what did that slab weigh? and what channel on the vhf you using?

Really three sets to get a few prawns.. I would hardly call it great... My Bauers just make it look good...trying to put a few in the freezer so I can rack the traps n be done with prawning for the year. might try Tent island off of Thetis if you really want some good prawning.. area 17 is bellow average at best.. but you can read the picture however you want FA.. they are just bugs, the ocean is full of them.

Back