Nanaimo Fall/Winter 2014

Sculpin

I think the spring/summer thread has run its course so to speak.

Time to start a new thread :).

Had a pretty good day prawning and crabing saturday. Almosted limited out. Seen a couple guys fishing but never noticed them caught anything.

Maybe 10%. Most of the prawns were medium in size. I would think in another month there will be alot more with eggs. Thew ones we got with eggs were just starting to show.

Jlewis and I got out prawning a little while back and had great water and managed a couple hundred crimson beauties. We set a little deep on four of our traps and the current was taking them to Vancouver, but luckily we chased them down..The crabbing was ok but a whole lot of not quite big enough ones. But it is a long winter and we are looking forward to lots of time out there. We did get a 15lb ling, and let him go of course. I'm hoping to get a few winter springs this year; so fingers crossed.

Went out prawning today between 2 pulls with 8 traps I got 30 prawns. And I lot of crab counted about 25 between 2 pulls with 3 traps and was able to keep 8 really nice rock hard ones great weather but no prawns:(

Was out monday.
Prawns ok off the fingers
One small winter spring about 100ft down in 180 ft of water just south/west of the fingers
Not much for crabs off Jack Pt area...

zero wind.. what a treat..

Last edited by a moderator:
im guessing there is lots of bait out near entrance island , i was flying santa around with my dad in his float plane and about 7 miles out there was around 100 pacific white sided dolphins jumping in a big pod, guessing there feeding on herring , maybe anchovys to,,?

Heading back to Nanaimo here this weekend. Has the fishing been good? is it worth putting the boat in the water for a few weeks? :cool:

nope,,,nothing going on down here...
backyard-pool.gif

Back