Mounting a kicker on a swim platform

• Thread starter Thread starter Loose Cannon
  • Start date Start date
L

Loose Cannon

I was given an older 20HP merc and was going to mount it on the swim platform of my boat. Any do's or don'ts that you guys think of for doing this? I assume that since the platform will hold me (240lbs) that a 100 some odd pound kicker should be no problem, but we all know what happens when you assume.[:0]:(:(The boat is a 21 ft Bayliner Ciera.

Hey Loose Cannon, I would be very carefull doing that. It might hold your 240, but that is not powering a 21 ft boat. I think for the price of a kicker bracket I would invest in one. Better be safe than sorry. I WOULDN'T DO IT!!!
See you on the water[8D]
Mikiki

i looked into this a little bit last year for my boat;
mounting kikers on swim platforms seemed to me to be quite popular around the east coast; however a kicker bracket is of course preferred. They were just L - shape brackets bolted onto the swim platform.

That's what I was thinking about doing. Getting some kind of an L bracket fabricated that would bolt on top of the swim platform.

Hey Loose Cannon, I saw a kicker bracket in " Used Victoria.com buy & Sell. It was for sale for $50.00. It was in the boat section and I think it was on the 3rd or 4th page. Probably cheaper than replacing your swim grid. :)
See you on the water[8D]
Mikiki

I would think the swim platform is only designed to take vertical stress. A motor pushing a boat through-it, I highly doubt it would last very long. To summarize, I think you could hang the motor, but I certainly wouldn't run it. ;)

Cheers.

Thanks Mikiki. I will look into that. The only problem is I am on the main land.

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I will look at getting a kicker bracket, I just wasn't too keen to drill more holes in the transom.

Heres my bracket Loose

boat24.jpg

Hey Sledhed, that is nothing like a Bayliner Swim Grid. That one must have cost you a fortune:) I sure like it though.
See you on the water[8D]
Mikiki

Back