More 15 Pound Finned Cannon Balls

Fish Assassin

Crew Member
Just got more lead. Poured some today and have plans to pour more.

PM me if you need any.

$25 each

Also have 1 pound balls for $2

Sorry if this is a Hijack Owen, but I went into Metal Supermarket in Edmonton yesterday, they had ordered the alum. for my rocket launcher/radar arch, anyways, they had pure lead there.....................5lb. ingots - $4.65 a lb. my good guy price for ordering the alum.!!!

Sorry if this is a Hijack Owen, but I went into Metal Supermarket in Edmonton yesterday, they had ordered the alum. for my rocket launcher/radar arch, anyways, they had pure lead there.....................5lb. ingots - $4.65 a lb. my good guy price for ordering the alum.!!!

At that price per pound I think I would start using cut rocks instead of lead cannon balls. Whats was the price of silver? :)

Lol, no silver, but they charged me $95.00, for 20' of 1 1/4 6063 T5 sched 40 alum. pipe. They had to get it out of B.C.!!
I know people here don't agree with melting down wheel weights, but hell lead is lead, it still sinks! LOL

Lol, no silver, but they charged me $95.00, for 20' of 1 1/4 6063 T5 sched 40 alum. pipe. They had to get it out of B.C.!!
I know people here don't agree with melting down wheel weights, but hell lead is lead, it still sinks! LOL

Wheel weights are not lead anymore. I was give buckets of them and tried to melt them down. All I got out of it was a blue metal that wouldnt even mold. Plus it stunk really bad. Now that being said I did get some old tire weights that had been around such a long time the steel clips had rusted off. That was great lead, but have not ever come across anything like that again since. Lead around here is getting harder and harder to find. Might just have to start diving in order to collect lead for remelts.

Must have got lucky for a change, the 2 buckets I have melt fine, the clips float to the top and it's easy to skim them off.
The balls are a little shiny though. I'm not sure that matters much.

I had a tiger torch in the melting pot and the stuff wouldn't melt. Some tire stores will give the stuff away as it lead valve stinks.

Labman2

$4.65 is a good deal for 5lb ignot pure .I bought 2 tons and paid 1.08 plus hst yesterday .Finding cheap lead in large amounts if very difficult.Didn't want to but what can you do.I don't think my brother in law can bring back a few tons on the plane on the way back from the riggs LOL.Wheel weights are bad to use for cannon balls thees too much crap in them unless you coat them then its not too bad plus your right they stiiiiiink and smoke.I wish I can find tons for under a buck.Oh well good luck.

When I worked at Cominco in Trail, we used to get all the 100lb. ingots we wanted for free, we used them in our pickup boxes for traction!
Of course that was back in the early/mid 70.s, who would have thought I'd be trying to buy it now!!!

quick CL search

2000 lbs in ingots for $1 per pound. DIscount over 500... http://victoria.en.craigslist.ca/boa/3113013806.html

I have good luck with tire wieghts thus far. Could do without the smoke though. Using a bottom pouring pot it usually works out to 17-25% waste material (clips, iron wieghts...ect) so from 100 lbs of tire lead I get 75-83 lbs of lead. I normally pour my ingots then just turn my pot upside down and dump out the slag/scrap, rather than scooping it off the top prior to pouring. I just do it for personal use though so it may not be 100% pure, but i'm thinking its not far off. After I remelt my ingots there is maybe another 2-3% of slag. But I do come across some stuff that just wont melt. Generally lead tire wieghts seem to be 3.5" and under. Any wieghts 4" and over are usually largely composed of iron.

From what I hear from the hopefully annual lead melt, FA can pour with the best of them. He's got quality balls!

BUMP!

Been trying to get that for 2 weeks I have buddies in Vic. I made contact then nothing I called a few times left messages and nothing.There's another guy that has 4000lb in Vic but I'm sure its a scam been trying to get that for months but he wont send me any picture's just say's come with cash lol.HE claims he doesn't care if he sells it and its cheap so.I dunno wheel weights are ok if cleaned but man there just the worst to work with unless you got a crazy system. If I do get any I make other weights though not cannon balls.Gotta be care full not to melt zinc.

Why is that, it was the zinc melting plant I worked in at Cominco, never had any problems. It was the guys in the Lead smelter that had to have urine and blood tests every few months.
Most wheel weights (older style it seems) have either antimony or zinc added to lengthen the life of the weight, pure lead doesn't last long.
That's why my 15lb. balls are so shiny, it's also the reason my dross, (slag) is a bright purple/blue color.

It screws up the lead nothing to do with health as long as your safe its all good.Working with pure lead is kinda difficult adding 1% antimony makes it easier.I learned a lot in the last couple days.The antimony makes the balls shiny and keeps the lead form oxidizing right away when melted to hot.Pure 99.99% lead is actually blue on the outside .To pour this pure stuff you need proper gear not just a pot and ladle.As soon as you ad even .05 % antimony it helps this is why my guess big chains balls are more pricey there 99.99% pure.Have you ever wondered why lots and lots of people weigh there balls now when they buy them? its because of all the recycled lead.Wheel weights ballast chunk roofing its all not 99.99% pure a small amount makes a huge difference.Also if you pour pure lead you cannot use the pot for recycled lead unless you melt together.The brighter the lead the more pure it is.I had a guy trade me balls because he wanted coated ones. all his 15lb balls were weighing 12lbs.If i was buying balls I would want them to be as close as possible of course but some people have no clue.I weight each cannon ball I make always just to make sure.I don't always buy pure lead or close to it as its much more expensive but easy to get so when I get scrap it must be cleaned and cleaned and cleaned.wheel weights are bad as if you don't take the zinc out and melt it it will wreck the whole pot of lead and is not good for cannon balls. I for one don't have the time to sift out non lead wheel weights then clean them and what not so ill only take them if there free or from my one buddy who want bars and betty's other then that will not take them.It is a cheaper source that's for sure.The best way to eliminate bad vibes is to coat the balls.They just look and feel a lot nicer.Ive used coated balls for about 6 years and will never use a bare ball again for so many different reasons and it doesn't matter the color as long as its coated. I'm by far not a pro but have poured thousands of weights.I now know what I look for when making my cannon balls and other weights.I also never have any problem catching salmon so I know they work. Have fun is what its all about.My hobby of making my own weights has exploded.I cannot keep up and I can only make so much.Also that slag could be zinc if its that color or pure lead is too hot.Any lead is good lead as long as you get it cheap enough and your happy.

It screws up the lead nothing to do with health as long as your safe its all good.Working with pure lead is kinda difficult adding 1% antimony makes it easier.I learned a lot in the last couple days.The antimony makes the balls shiny and keeps the lead form oxidizing right away when melted to hot.Pure 99.99% lead is actually blue on the outside .To pour this pure stuff you need proper gear not just a pot and ladle.As soon as you ad even .05 % antimony it helps this is why my guess big chains balls are more pricey there 99.99% pure.Have you ever wondered why lots and lots of people weigh there balls now when they buy them? its because of all the recycled lead.Wheel weights ballast chunk roofing its all not 99.99% pure a small amount makes a huge difference.Also if you pour pure lead you cannot use the pot for recycled lead unless you melt together.The brighter the lead the more pure it is.I had a guy trade me balls because he wanted coated ones. all his 15lb balls were weighing 12lbs.If i was buying balls I would want them to be as close as possible of course but some people have no clue.I weight each cannon ball I make always just to make sure.I don't always buy pure lead or close to it as its much more expensive but easy to get so when I get scrap it must be cleaned and cleaned and cleaned.wheel weights are bad as if you don't take the zinc out and melt it it will wreck the whole pot of lead and is not good for cannon balls. I for one don't have the time to sift out non lead wheel weights then clean them and what not so ill only take them if there free or from my one buddy who want bars and betty's other then that will not take them.It is a cheaper source that's for sure.The best way to eliminate bad vibes is to coat the balls.They just look and feel a lot nicer.Ive used coated balls for about 6 years and will never use a bare ball again for so many different reasons and it doesn't matter the color as long as its coated. I'm by far not a pro but have poured thousands of weights.I now know what I look for when making my cannon balls and other weights.I also never have any problem catching salmon so I know they work. Have fun is what its all about.My hobby of making my own weights has exploded.I cannot keep up and I can only make so much.Also that slag could be zinc if its that color or pure lead is too hot.Any lead is good lead as long as you get it cheap enough and your happy.

What do you coat your balls with. Sorry sounds perverted, but I'm quite serious. Do it yourself, or do you have a rubber/ plastic guy do it?

I am guessing I should just start a new thread being that this one is no longer a BST thread. In cause anyone is intereseted I did just pour more yesterday.

Back