Mooching reel on fly rod ?

Travo

I live in kelowna and I went out with a big guide in town .O n his boat he had 2 rods that he called his fun rods they were shimano mooching reels on fly rods. I just bought a nice new boat and I'm going to have 6 rods on board with 3 different setups, I'd like to setup 2 rods like this has anyone else used this before ?

I think you can get little shimanos that might work with a fly rod but still I think the weight is going to really unbalance the rod. A better option is to get a large arbour fly reel matched to the rod and just spool it up with mono instead of fly line. You'll get way more then enough line on the reel and the rod will be balanced - just be sure the fly reel is suitable for the salt.

Sorry I should have said this will be for freshwater fishing for salt I have an islander ordered and heavier rod for when the salmon run starts in summer

If you went out with Rod, he uses large arbor fly reels on fly rods for his lighter trolling needs. The reel seat mounts on a Mooching reel are too big and bulky for most fly rods and might fit initially, but will damage the rod eventually.

I live in kelowna and fish the lake quite a bit. I also have one of these fun setups that you mentioned. I bought a Sage 4210 reel and spooled it with 400 yards of 20lb braid and about 40 yards of 12lb fluorocarbon. It's matched with an 8 weight 10ft sage rod. It's a bucktailing machine!! I'll also throw on a coyote spoon and they tend to work just as well.

fly reels and mono don't play well togeather as mentioned above use a braid and then a top shot of mono or flouro. Mono and flouro alone will crush the reel if you get a big one or just wind the line on tight and leave it. The elastic
memory is what the prob is.

If you went out with Rod, he uses large arbor fly reels on fly rods for his lighter trolling needs. The reel seat mounts on a Mooching reel are too big and bulky for most fly rods and might fit initially, but will damage the rod eventually.

Yes it was rod we went out with , and it wasn't a fly reel we used it was a mooching reel I know the difference it was a shimano mooching reel , the exact same reel I used in sooke fishing for winter springs . I'm not trying to spool mono on fly reel , I want to put the fly rod with a mooching reel like he had and mainly for bucktails and chrome coyotes

It was probably the Shimano GT1000 as i have it on a fly rod set-up for coho and the odd spring.. Great little reels, but i don't know if they sell them anymore ??

When we went out we did horrible I went back to back days in December and we didn't land a fish , in fact we hardly got into any fish lost one nice on @ the boat and another got off about 200 feet back doing an aerial display lol , but learnt a lot rods a great guy and ven though I just bought a north river ill prob still book a day or 2 in this year with him .Rod has great knowledge of the fishery. Back to this topic , I just returned from trout waters the Lfs here in kelowna or at least my choice looked at some Scotty fly rods 8 weight he suggested going with an islander fly reel but the medium sized one also would be very good for salty coho fishing but price tag isn't cheap 400rod on sale from 700 and reel is 750 as well I think a little steep . I'm stuck on mooching reals so I passed for today and my search continues for a light duty mooching reel lol , unless they don't exist the shimano gt2000 or 4000 are overkill for the pllication I'm using and I want to use light gear feel the fight

There are lots of large arbor fly reels that will not break the bank, I got my mine at Wholesale Sports in Nanaimo for under a hundred. If you put backing on you are golden. The only issue I have is a little line creep on the rigger. My MR3 does that too when down 150 feet or more so it's although a pain, it's worth it when you hook up and get to actually feel the fish. Also, you might to try dummer flashers when using a lighter set up.

Back