Modifying Bauer Traps to Meet New Prawn Trap Regulation

Wax

Looking for ideas on how best to modify my Bauer prawn traps to meet the regulations that came out Aug.30/24

3. No person shall fish with an octopus trap that is made of open mesh or with a crab or shrimp trap unless the trap has a section in the top or in a side wall that has been laced, sewn or otherwise secured by a single length of untreated cotton twine no greater than grade No. 120, which, on deterioration or parting, produces a rectangular opening with a minimum size of 7 cm × 20 cm or a square opening with a minimum size of 11 cm × 11 cm.

I have a couple of ideas, but would be very interested to see what anyone else had come up with

Looks like once again DFO needs to update their information on their website to match with their endless new reg. changes 🤡

Rot cord​

We encourage you to use rot cord on all prawn traps to allow prawns in lost traps to escape. To use rot cord:
  • create an opening in the top or side wall of your trap that is bigger than a prawn
  • sew it shut with a single strand of untreated cotton twine no greater than #120 (5 mm or 3/16 inches in diameter)
https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/shellfish-coquillages/gear-engins-eng.html

Last edited:
"We encourage . . . ", does not make it mandatory. IMO the prawns eventually figure their way out, going by my own better sets on shorter soaks. Heck, a few of my traps last year had moved a 100 meters and the prawns had left the door open on the way out. That's perseverance!

Looking for ideas on how best to modify my Bauer prawn traps to meet the regulations that came out Aug.30/24

3. No person shall fish with an octopus trap that is made of open mesh or with a crab or shrimp trap unless the trap has a section in the top or in a side wall that has been laced, sewn or otherwise secured by a single length of untreated cotton twine no greater than grade No. 120, which, on deterioration or parting, produces a rectangular opening with a minimum size of 7 cm × 20 cm or a square opening with a minimum size of 11 cm × 11 cm.

I have a couple of ideas, but would be very interested to see what anyone else had come up with
Looks like once again DFO needs to update their information on their website to match with their endless new reg. changes 🤡

Rot cord​

We encourage you to use rot cord on all prawn traps to allow prawns in lost traps to escape. To use rot cord:
  • create an opening in the top or side wall of your trap that is bigger than a prawn
  • sew it shut with a single strand of untreated cotton twine no greater than #120 (5 mm or 3/16 inches in diameter)
https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/shellfish-coquillages/gear-engins-eng.html
That was what had been previously recommended, however, this was superseded by FN 0887 which can out on August 30. This is where I copied point 3 from that I posted originally. Or am I missing something?

Notice says effective immediately:

Subject: FN0887-Amendments to British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations, 1996 for Recreational Tidal Water Fishing

Effective immediately, the following amendments have been made to the British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations, 1996:

That looks like a mistake. It says octopus trap not prawn trap. It is not mandatory, and I am not sure who pulled the trigger for rollout past the process. Especially end of summer which is very weird.

FYI it has not been brought through the SFAB process as directive in regards to prawns at least in our Area 17 process, so yes we need clarification as too why/timing? In order to do that manufacturers would all have to roll out the change. Then there is timing for people to be in compliance. I will ask but for right now I wouldn't be modifying anything/ or cutting traps.

Commercials I believe would also have to roll this change out. That hasn't been done. Thanks for posting it.

Personally I think on a prawn trap it isn't necessary IMHO.

Last edited:
I dunno looks pretty clear to me that is does apply to prawn traps:

Subject: FN0887-Amendments to British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations, 1996 for Recreational Tidal Water Fishing

Effective immediately, the following amendments have been made to the British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations, 1996:
No person shall fish with an octopus trap that is made of open mesh or with a crab or shrimp trap unless the trap has a section in the top or in a side wall that has been laced, sewn or otherwise secured by a single length of untreated cotton twine no greater than grade No. 120, which, on deterioration or parting, produces a rectangular opening with a minimum size of 7 cm × 20 cm or a square opening with a minimum size of 11 cm × 11 cm.

Last edited:
Thanks SV. Very odd roll out for sure, and I'm awaiting more info from Bruno Bauer as to what they've come up with as well for trap modification details.

So checked into it, and background. It was put through SFAB years ago, but not implemented right away. It flew a bit under the radar looks like.

So long story short is all of us have to comply with that new regulation. If you have box traps they need to be retrofitted with the rot chord. Commercials apparently already have this I am told.

We also will be reminding folks at our upcoming Area 17 meeting this fall. I am sure other areas will bring it up.

So checked into it, and background. It was put through SFAB years ago, but not implemented right away. It flew a bit under the radar looks like.

So long story short is all of us have to comply with that new regulation. If you have box traps they need to be retrofitted with the rot chord. Commercials apparently already have this I am told.

We also will be reminding folks at our upcoming Area 17 meeting this fall. I am sure other areas will bring it up.
Thanks for confirming the info SV.

Now, back to the original question:

I was looking at cutting the required sized hole in the existing prawn removal hatch, getting a bit of mesh from Bauer in order to make an oversized patch, mounting the patch to the inside of the trap hole doing one side with slightly loose hog rings and tying the flap up with rot cord. If lost the hatch would drop down using the hog rings as a hinge and be open.

Seemed like a decent plan to me, still looking for other ideas before the wire-cutters come out

I think simply adding a chunk of rot cord to the clean out door closure bungee would suffice and work . The rot cord under tension might part quicker??
Good thinking.
The hinge could be rot cord if it doesn't like being part of the bungee.

That looks like a mistake. It says octopus trap not prawn trap. It is not mandatory, and I am not sure who pulled the trigger for rollout past the process. Especially end of summer which is very weird.

FYI it has not been brought through the SFAB process as directive in regards to prawns at least in our Area 17 process, so yes we need clarification as too why/timing? In order to do that manufacturers would all have to roll out the change. Then there is timing for people to be in compliance. I will ask but for right now I wouldn't be modifying anything/ or cutting traps.

Commercials I believe would also have to roll this change out. That hasn't been done. Thanks for posting it.

Personally I think on a prawn trap it isn't necessary IMHO.
This is mandatory for Prawn traps also. The regulation states it applies to Shrimp traps (AKA - prawn).

This regulation change was extensively consulted with the SFAB over a period of several years. One of the considerations was to provide the recreational community and trap suppliers opportunity to become aware of the change and adapt to it. A notice was attached to all Tidal Water license conditions one year ahead of implementation to provide notice at the request of the SFAB. DFO also issued a notice to all SFAC's one year ahead of the change in their annual update on key issues - these updates are made available to each local SFAC to share with their members and are public documents. Derby who is the SFAB Invertebrate Chair and Area 17 Chair, also reached out to industry suppliers to discuss the upcoming changes (as in Bauer). Not sure if they understood the significance of the outreach.

The purpose of this new requirement for rot cord is to address ghost fishing on traps which are lost - by installing rot cords, if the trap is lost it will no longer continue fishing once the rot cord breaks down creating an escape hole in the trap allowing prawns and other creatures caught in a lost trap to exit safely. This just makes sense and represents a simple way for sustainable fishing to take place guarding against the effects of ghost fishing on lost traps.

Last edited:
Modification of the Bauer traps is a bit tricky as the requirement for minimum size of 7 cm × 20 cm or a square opening with a minimum size of 11 cm × 11 cm. In other words, the rot cord must be installed in such a manner as to eventually create a hole where the mesh drops away on its own to create the required hole. It can't require someone or thing to pull open a door to create a hole. Must be designed to drop away under gravity or current to create the escape opening. That was one of the challenges identified specifically with the design of the Bauer traps. I'm sure someone out there will have a simple effective solution. I would be surprised if the manufacturer hasn't already come up with a solution to ensure their traps comply and are a competitive choice in the retail market.

Modification of the Bauer traps is a bit tricky as the requirement for minimum size of 7 cm × 20 cm or a square opening with a minimum size of 11 cm × 11 cm. In other words, the rot cord must be installed in such a manner as to eventually create a hole where the mesh drops away on its own to create the required hole. It can't require someone or thing to pull open a door to create a hole. Must be designed to drop away under gravity or current to create the escape opening. That was one of the challenges identified specifically with the design of the Bauer traps. I'm sure someone out there will have a simple effective solution. I would be surprised if the manufacturer hasn't already come up with a solution to ensure their traps comply and are a competitive choice in the retail market.
So replacing the hinges on Door closure with rot cord would work? Once the hinge rots the door will fall off.

So replacing the hinges on Door closure with rot cord would work? Once the hinge rots the door will fall off.
No really, as it is meant to open by gravity or currents, upon the rotting of the cord. Given the removal doors are an L shape and slightly larger than the opening in the trap, it would most likely just sit there. Also, becomes. PIA while fishing traps if you loose the door due whatever might happen.

Another option to my original idea would be to cut a hole on an opposite corner and build and oversized in-swing door with hog rings on one edge and lace the opposite site with cord.

Back