Mid Summer Trout

Reel Knotty

Spent the weekend campin and fishing Second Lake. Only downer was the typical mid day winds up the valley. Highlight of the trip was the motor desiding to take the weekend off. LOL! As I was rowing, the creak of the (rarely used) oar lock must have sounded like a cow elk chirping because a young bull began bugling and crashed out of the bush and followed me up the lake shore bugling the whole time. Not what I'd consider pre rut behavior. Wish I had the camera on board that morning, but it was in the tent with my girl friend. Fishing was productive as well. Trolling a 3 inch tomic plug in cutthroat trout colors near the sand bar was productive and caught 6 fish ranging from 16-24 inches, here's pic of 2 we desided would make a nice lunch. (Yes I let the big guy go back to hopefully spawn some offspring that will get to that size)

fish2.jpg

Fish1-1.jpg

Nice looking fish you got there. How deep were you fishing? It has been about 4 or 5 years since I was last up that way. Have you ever been to 4th lake? I think thats where the dam is. Do you live in victoria? Anyways.... good job, nice fish ...wish I could get away .

I'm in Nanaimo so it's a local trip. We tried to keep the gear near bottom while fishin in 20-50 of water. Most fish were caught while droppin or raising lures on the slopes of points, pinnicles etc. Forgot the downriggers at home, so slip weights were the order of the day, but did the job.

Very nice trouts you got yourself there. I fly fish and my biggest landed this year in CR is 14". I lost one about 16" 3 days ago, but I certainly haven't seen any that big swiming around here!
Did you say you trolled for those on a lake near Victoria?
Guess I'll have to start doing some troling as well, but I could even rig my fly rod with a 2oz slip weight and troll. Weee!

We fished 2nd lake of the Nanaimo Lakes chain. I love fishing in 4th, but the gates are closed at Steel Bridge until further notice. There was vadalism issues last year and they closed all access for a while. I'm glad they at least re-opened as far as Second Lake.

I'm sure trolling a fly would work just fine. I've done it in the past, a muddler minnow on full sink line trolled very slowly has been productive for me in the past. I've been leavin the flyrod at home lately since I'm introducing new anglers to the sport. (kids, and girlfriend) I'll graduate them to the fly next year I hope.

Heading back up for the weekend with the whole family in about an hour. Will post results when we get back!

[:p][:p]

Very cool, can't wait to give it a try.
I pretty much just do catch and release with plenty of photo's in-between. But those sure are nice ones.

Well this weekend wasn't nearly as productive as the last. I believe the full moon had the trout in the shallows gorging on the small fry all night long. I could hear and see the action around midnight, but getting kids up to midnight fish didn't seem like a good idea and I didn't want to leave them at camp unattended.
We did manage a few 12-14 inch fish and saw a few tails in their throats, confirming my full moon theory in my mind anyway. Oh well, there is always next week LOL!:D

Back