mercury 9.9hp and synthetic oil

sako79

i have a 2014 mercury 9.9hp outboard, which has under 20 hours on it. when would you switch from conventional oil to synthetic oil. i like running synthetic oil in everything. im going to do my first oil change soon, and i was thinking about using the factory oil again(quick silver 10w30) for the first oil change then switching to a synthetic (royal purple HPM 10w30)

what would you do

Wait till warranty is over then switch, thats what i do on all my engines. Synthetic is a much better product.

i gotta wait til aug 2019 for the warranty to be over. way to long. besides an equivelent oil wont void warranty. (most brand name oils exceed oem standards

Call me paranoid but i don't let the manufactures have any excuse if something goes wrong. If they approve a subsitute then fine, just make sure its in writting.

i have a 2014 mercury 9.9hp outboard, which has under 20 hours on it. when would you switch from conventional oil to synthetic oil. i like running synthetic oil in everything. im going to do my first oil change soon, and i was thinking about using the factory oil again(quick silver 10w30) for the first oil change then switching to a synthetic (royal purple HPM 10w30)

what would you do

Call Merc and ask? I know when I had a Merc and it was under warranty I was told by my dealer to call Merc and get the info from them regarding if I was doing my own oil changes and type of oil/grade that I could use; back then they told me to keep my receipts for everything I did on the motor and keep track of the intervals. Give them a call; they will recommend what to use and tell them what you would like to use and get there okay; that way you are covered. Get there info as well; name and employee number and put it with your receipts.

what would you do

This is only my opinion of course……but you asked
Personally I think your throwing away $$
While you are correct that synthetic oil is a superior product to dino oil in extreme load conditions do you feel your 9.9 will ever be pushed to the extreme limits including extended drain intervals?
If it was a race bred motor that needed the extra protection offered from a synthetic oil mercury would require it, period!
Keep a religious maintenance schedule using the recommended dino oil and you can guarantee oil failure will not be the demise of your engine.

I would run the first couple of changes on conventional to seat the rings and ensure everything seals, seats and wears in. Any engine manufacturer or engine rebuilder/ oil manufacturer and they'll tell you this.

Synthetic oils offer a much superior quality of lubrication in that it stays on surfaces longer. It also has much higher detergent qualities and it'll prevent carbon build up and allow you longer intervals between changes and a longer engine life.

I don't know about your application but on the boats I had a 9.9 kicker on, I ran the bags off the kicker when the current got humping.....and when the main wouldn't fire....I ran the f out of it to make time and get back to shore by dark.

The 9.9 capacity is small anyways so for less than the cost of a Starbucks if you buy synthetic at Walmart, you can upgrade to full synthetic.

It's just that much better. How you treat your engine will also determine how long it will last. Do you want 4000 hours or 6000 plus hours? Your call.

I have 5 collector cars and synthetic really makes a difference on cutting down wear on cold dry start ups. Dry start ups are not "dry" any more.

Ask any mechanic who rebuilds engines for a living and you'll know exactly the value that synthetic adds.

I would use mercury full synthetic oil if they had it but they only have semi synthetic. Yamalube has full synthetic for outboards.

I would use mercury full synthetic oil if they had it but they only have semi synthetic. Yamalube has full synthetic for outboards.

use Mobil 1 or Valvoline Full Synthetic. It won't hurt your engine. Modern Ferraris, Supercars and many high performance vehicles run this oil in race situations and on the street.

i use Royal Purple synthetic oil in all my engines. love the oil. but the marine oil is hard to find (royal Purple HPM 10w30). I will be using my outboard in all kinds of conditions, from below freezing to over 30 Celcius. most of the time i might be using it for long periods of trolling as well. It only take 800ml per oil change so $18 for a liter isnt wasting money in my eyes. the new 9.9hp mercury outboards also have no oil filter

Last edited by a moderator:
I would run the first couple of changes on conventional to seat the rings and ensure everything seals, seats and wears in. Any engine manufacturer or engine rebuilder/ oil manufacturer and they'll tell you this.

New cars that spec synthetic come from the factory with sumps full of synthetic. They seem to break in fine.

Different animal. new car engines are designed to run in synthetic. tolerances and clearances are much tighter than they used to be.

Back