Matheson Lake - wheres the trout?

Deewar25

So I was snorkeling this on the weekend - wondering where the heck all the trout have gone??? I scoured the bottom along the east 1/2 from the beach middle to the island and around the island, and only saw one bass around 5 lb....usually in the past when I went there, I would see some trout here and there. I was right at the bottom in the deepest part, visibility was good and I should have had time to see them before they scattered, but nothing. I assumed after that maybe there are deeper parts of the lake and they were just there for the summer, but looking at the contours, I see I was in the deepest part of the lake (5m). So whats the deal? They still stock it obviously. Are the numbers there and I just happened to be out of the prime area? I didn't check the west edge where I used to catch a decent number, but all my traditional eastern haunts were dead.

Any insight from locals that frequent it there?

On the plus side, it was awesome that the temperature was decent throughout the layers and you could tolerate the depths. I often dive down in Glen Lake and find I just freeze my azz off there by the time I hit about 10'. At Matheson, it still had to be 70-72 at the bottom.

I live just down the road from Matheson. My buddy fished it not to long ago. Green Leech and he got into about 20 or so fish in 6 hours. So they must be there somwhere. That seems fairly warm to me. Maybe they were on the shady side of the lake? Go out in the early morning and see all the risers. Its crazy.

-Steve

Thats what I'd of thought - there were a couple boats fishing on the west side in the shade, so perhaps that was the ticket. Temperatures best guess - I recall 68 degrees when I snorkelled Catalina Island a while ago and needed a wetsuit as I freezing my balls off (yeah, I'm a wuss). It felt no where near as bad, so I'm thinking I'm in the ballpark. Glen Lake however, I'd bet its below 65 degrees once you hit about 12-13' (except when the lake does its inversion).

I didn't even see any bullhead (1 at the beach was it). Regardless of time of day though, they still have to hang out somewhere at the heat of day, thats what surprised since I covered a huge chunk of the bottom. The big bass was pretty much in the middle between the island and the nearest rock - maybe 5' off the bottom. None at the dropoff back side of the island though - I always used to find them there.

thx

Back