Masset fishing grounds

S

sockeye

I will be taking my 18.5' aluminum fishing boat to Masset on the Queen Charlotte islands in mid July and I could sure use some advise as to where to try for salmon, halibut, and prawns. With limited time and money already spent, any information could save me days of trial and error. I would appreciate any advice anyone is willing to give up and I do understand how sacred a good fishing hole is! I do have a GPS if anyone could help me with Hailbut coordinates as well. Due to the limited size of my boat, I would prefer to not venture out too far. Cheers!

There's good fishing right outside of Masset harbour, head a bit north and you'll see the boats. Halibut are a couple miles out. We limited on chickens at 200'. If the cut pluggers are not catching, stick on some spoons no flasher and troll 'fast'.

You got it. Head northwest out of the harbor but makesure to check the weather for sure. Anywhere from the can to Wiah Pt would be good enough. If you want numbers of fish I would throw down a chovie flasher on one side and a spoon on the other, but if you looking for hogs, whole herring or cut plug is the way to go. Check with the locals and they will put you on the up to date hot spots. Great spot is Cape Edenshaw but it's about a 30 min run towards Naden Habour.

You mention to troll "fast" about how fast are you talking about, I fish a lot of areas that have a really flat bottom and would like to give it a try. Also how far from the bottom do you keep your line?
thanks

Double your regular trolling speed and go from there, (with spoons)
Try 20-50 ft. or 10 ft. off bottom.

Was up there all last summer with my boat.
Agree with the other posts, had great luck around the RED CAN and over at Edenshaw. We were using cut plugs most of the time with a dummy flasher or no flasher at all.
As for the Halibut they seemed to be everywhere last summer. Anywhere from 60ft to 250ft. Didn't catch any huge ones but lots of nice 15-20 lb chickens. Try North of the 2nd green can in about 180Ft or North of Edenshaw in 200 Ft. Or head East towards North Beach. I could look up some way points later if you want.
We were using just about anything for bait, Salmon bellies, Octopus. Squid, Herring or just plain Berkley power grubs. Didn't seem to make a difference, they were hitting everything. Although the Octopus did seem to hold up a lot longer as it is pretty tough.
We didn't try for Prawns but Crab were no problem finding.
Talk to some of the private charter guys in the Marina, most of them are pretty friendly and helpful.
I am going up on June 16th for a week I will let you know how we do.

Back