Marine weather

Want to go out fishing this weekend around Vancouver.
Is there any app or web site that is pretty bang on with the marine weather.
Been looking and all the site say different things. Some are similar. Or is it worth buying a annual membership.

I look at all the free forecast. They do differ quite a bit. But you should learn what the bad situations are. Example when the wind is coming out of howe sound on a flood tide. Or for me being in North Vancouver. The waves coming towards lions gate when the tide is going out. I've seen some big standing waves on bad days. My dad and I will go out in most conditions but there has been quite a few days where we weren't comfortable get much further then the bell. Dad uses windy. I usually check the wave height at halibut bank. .3 and under is good

Well-- just an observation, but the EC marine wind forecast, specifically speed, is wrong 50% of the time in the Strait of Georgia. Check several sites as others have said.

Ventusky is another good site that I use. The wind speed and cloud cover layers are quite accurate for our local waters.

I use environment Canada marine and land forecasts to make an educated guess. I also look at the previous 24 hours and you can get an idea of what conditions will be like. Even if the forecast is off the hourly weather conditions are accurate and you will know what to expect when you get out there.

I use EC, Big Wave Dave, and Windy. They don’t always match. There are some local marine web cams, to get eyes on the area too.

Over all I find this one to be the best. Not specific for Vancouver, but will give you a good indication of what to expect. North, West, East or South winds and what velocity.
NDBC - National Weather Service Marine Forecast FZUS56 KSEW (noaa.gov)
And I know a lot of guys south of Nanaimo look at this well placed live private web cam

Northern Inland Waters Including The San Juan Islands-
\833 AM PST Sun Dec 19 2021
SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE MONDAY NIGHT
TODAY

NE wind 15 to 25 kt. Wind waves 2 to 4 ft.
TONIGHT
MON
NE wind 15 to 25 kt. Wind waves 2 to 4 ft. A chance of
rain.
MON NIGHT
TUE
N wind to 10 kt in the morning becoming light. Wind waves
1 ft or less.
TUE NIGHT
SE wind to 10 kt becoming 5 to 15 kt after midnight.
Wind waves 2 ft or less.
WED
SE wind 5 to 15 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less.
THU
S wind to 10 kt. Wind waves 1 ft or less

Anyone out today? Still calling for gale winds in howesound . Wondering how accurate that is
Environment Canada forecast was accurate. Probably blowing 30 knots. Just tried rounding the north end of Bowen from Snug Cove and turned back at Finesterre Island. Little too sporty for a 16' double eagle. Strange because windy was forecasting light winds all day

Environment Canada forecast was accurate. Probably blowing 30 knots. Just tried rounding the north end of Bowen from Snug Cove and turned back at Finesterre Island. Little too sporty for a 16' double eagle. Strange because windy was forecasting light winds all day
Thanks for update . Heard the same through a guy that’s out today.

Was looking at Windy yesterday and it said 5-10 knot winds in Howe Sound. The EC weather station at Pam Rocks was saying 30 knots though. I think windy is pretty good at the predictable wind patterns but the local weather patterns like the outflow winds may not be forcasted accurately.

Forecasts are always for a wide area, whereas local conditions can vary significantly even in just a few miles. Can never have too many sources of information. Even a quick call on the radio to see if anyone has a local report...

Ask on local FB group like that one nervous goof who always wants a road report every time a flake of snow lands.

Back