Low Maintenance 3/4 Ton or 1 Ton Trucks

kaelc

Doing a little research on a bigger truck with a good 3000lb payload for putting a camper in and towing capacity of +8000 lbs. Don't need great gas mileage, but it would be nice, prefer quite and reliable and affordable purchase price. Looking for a long bed, crew, super cab, seating for 5-6 (back seat for kids in car seats).

Looking at older 2000's Chevrolet 2500hd's with the 6.0 Gas Engine and have heard good things. Also looking at a 6.4 2008 Ford Diesel but I've seen a couple with blown engines, it sounds like the Ford 6.7 2011 and up is a little quieter, how about for reliability?

Thanks for your input in advance.

Owned a 2005 2500 HD for 8 years and it was awesome - pulled 24' boats up and down the island without issue. Recently sold it and bought a used 3500 HD :)

I have a 2007 Gmc 2500HD 6.0L and I am happy with it. Pulled my skid steer to the island from Edmonton last summer and I was at maximum combined vehicle weight. Pulled good and got about the same gas mileage as running empty and didn't burn any oil, just turned 300000K and I'm hoping it lasts many more years.
I paid $2700 for it three years ago however I had to do the rear diff and ball joints. Good body, tires and cool rims and a tool box.

Ive got a 2013 Chev Suburban 2500 which is a 3/4. It’s got 6.0 gas motor with 3.73 gears. It tows my 7500 lb Grady as well, maybe better, than my previous Denali which had the 6.2 in it. The 6.2 had more punch but the 6.0 has plenty of power at 352/360 HP to tow and gets decent mileage.

Things to look for on them,
Upper ball joints, lots of people say you have to replace the complete upper control arm. You can buy ball joints for them however they don't press in that tight. They also are designed to have a snap ring hold them in however the ball joint will work its way out. You need to tack weld them in.

NP246 transfercase leak. They have an oil pump and part of it moves back and forth eventually wearing a hole in the side of the case and you will pump the oil out pretty quick. Proper fix is to replace the back half of the transfer case and there is aftermarket parts that fix the problem. However! A budget fix is to clean the case off with brake clean and then a few layers of fiberglass cloth impregnated with JB Weld patching it. Don't laugh! My 1999 suburban had the same problem, I did the same fix and drove it 170000km before selling it still going strong. My 2007 also had the same issue and same fix, still going strong!

I wouldn’t recommend a 6.4 to anyone unless they have deep pockets. On my fourth radiator and $15,000 into the engine over the years. It’s a pleasure to drive but every time I leave the driveway I’m worried it may be the last.

Low maintenance and Ford diesel don't belong in the same sentence. Also be very careful with camper weights (way heavier than you think when full) and load capacity (way lighter than you'd think) to keep potential insurance and liability issues to a minimum. Adding airbags to make you level won't make you legal.

That's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison. I'm guessing used 6.4 powerstrokes sell for comparable money to 6.0 Chevies ? There is a reason for that, they are rolling grenades. Towing with a gas truck obviously can be done but it is like 5000 rpm going up the hill followed by virtually no engine braking abilty going down the other side. I personally find the torque and engine hold back of diesels to be awesome. If the power of diesel didn't put a smile on your face going up the hill, when you start your decente with engine brake and trans in tow/haul mode the trucks ability to slow down with out using brakes will. I find gas motors to be heartless things to tow with, but thats just my opinion.

I have a 2003 2500HD Silverado with the duramax lb7 engine.
Although the electrical accessories are starting to give up the ghost, that engine is a beast.
Keep looking to upgrade, but relays are cheap compared to a newer truck.

I have a 2001 Chev. Silverado 2500 HD 4x4, long box, extended cab, 6 liter Vortec, 5 speed overdrive manual transmission with 155,000. K on it. They are amazing motors, very reliable and always jumps to life at the touch of the key, - no cranking ever. The truck also came with a large, walk on it, bush-guard bumper with skid plate,10000lb Warn winch and a factory duel battery system with isolator. With a winch and/or a camper I would think duel battery is a must have.

You asked about seating. It has a cheater seat in the front between the main seats (the center console folds back and turns into the padded back for the seat) and a full bench in the back so it will seat 6 (sort of) but but four or five would be more practical, especially for distance. Not a lot of leg room in the back if you are very tall and the front seats are full back.

I have found I seldom use first gear as it is so low that you get very little speed out of it. 2nd gear is essentially first gear, even up inclines, unless they are steep. Put it in bull low 4x4 and first gear and all it is good for is pulling stumps, getting going hauling a heavy boat up a steep slippery ramp and climbing over boulders. Like most good truck motors, the Vortec, seems to be optimized for torque not hp but it certainly has enough hp. The truck was ordered as a work truck fleet vehicle which means it has the stuff you want for the bush, like skid plates under things like the transfer case, huge built in fuel tank and duel batteries, but none of the bells and whistles that dealers rely on to make them a fortune repairing.

There are no power heated seats, mirrors, door-locks and windows etc. The only thing I miss is power windows, as the truck is so wide that if there is no passenger to do it and you want to hand crank the window up, you can’t do it from the driver seat on the go.

The only other negative is that it is not a fun truck to drive in the big city. It is extremely long and wide and no fun at all to squeeze into tiny parking spots designed for little cars. I am also happy when I get on the ferry without them noticing the huge bumper and long box etc. and don’t come out to measure me for possibly being over length. Fuel economy is not great and it costs about $95.00 of regular to go from Victoria to Campbell river and drive around a little for a couple of days. The interesting thing is that fuel economy does not seem to get worse if you are hauling or pulling a lot of weight. Hope this helps if you are thinking about going Chevy non-diesel.

Last edited:
Older duramax with the Allison transmission can't be beat. If it's an lb7 2001-2003, make sure the injectors have been done. 2006 and 2007 are the best years as they are the last before the emissions bs that rob gas mileage. Fuel economy for these trucks is awesome as well, especially when towing.

I have an '06 GMC 3500 Diesel with only 135000kms. EGR removed an a "tow" tune, with a turbo brake, done at Harbour City Diesel in Nanaimo. Only issue was having to have the turbo removed, vanes cleaned and replaced due to not enough hard work. Pull a 31', 14.000 lb 5th wheel and a 21' striper. 50% wear left on the original brakes. Never slow down going up hills and really love the brake going down!

2008 GMC HD 2500 6.2 Diesel. 165k on it and no issues except the service 4wd light came on recently. Haven't had it checked out since I haven't been around to drive it. I've also owned a 2003 2500HD 6L gas and no problems with it either.

Older duramax with the Allison transmission can't be beat. If it's an lb7 2001-2003, make sure the injectors have been done. 2006 and 2007 are the best years as they are the last before the emissions bs that rob gas mileage. Fuel economy for these trucks is awesome as well, especially when towing.
I had a 2007 GMC with the Duramax and sold it 2 years ago. Wish i had kept it as it was the best vehicle i've ever owned.

If you are running an LB7 right now and it has any mileage on it, you don't need to worry about the injectors anymore!
Those things are/were pricey.

71f226116cddce58f3196f1fc819005d--lifted-chevy-chevy-trucks.jpg

I had a 2007 GMC with the Duramax and sold it 2 years ago. Wish i had kept it as it was the best vehicle i've ever owned.
I agree-mine is a 2007 Chev duramax and replaced the 2 filters in the Allison trans with the mechanic saying keep this one as they don't make trannys like that anymore

Don’t ever buy a 6.4 Ford diesel, my motor blew in mine at 120 000 km and it was well taken care of with lots of money pumped into it. I sure miss driving it, it handled awesome and was very comfortable to drive. As stated I was scared to even tow with it as there always seemed to be something with the diesels. I ve gone back to the old reliable gas 6.0l chev towed my camper this past summer and it towed nice, haven’t pulled my boat yet. I have the new 250o HD crew 6.6 box, my lifted f350 with big tires was way easier to see and park in the city lol

'03 gmc 2500hd slt trim lb7 motor, 8' adventurer camper towing an 18' hourston loaded for a week north island every season has given me no issues. Have been very happy with this truck!

Back