loss of power after beginning to run..only when engine has sat for some time

Islandgirl

Last several times out my honda has lost power after leaving the marina (cold start) when I was up through about 4000rpm. I would pull the power back and pump the ball which was Soft. Then I had no issues for the duration of the running time.

The pattern is the same all the time. I am thinking that I need a new check ball (not sure what they are called?)
to keep fuel pressure there.
Any thoughts?

I think you may be correct, had the same prob with my kicker a while back. I drained the carb in case there was a water buildup (which there was) replaced gas filter and changed priming ball. problem solved.

Time to buy a Yamaha...LOL

My Yamaha does the same thing during winter months/cold weather/cold water times of year. So does the Merc. that we have at work. Priming the ball before hand does not even make a difference. Maybe all our balls are shot...LOL..Sick mind I know. Just a bunch of useless balls..HaHa... All I know is if I let my Yamaha warm up a bit then shut it down....Prime it then start it again..it runs like a top all day. I can run it in crapy mode for 15 mins then shut it down and pump the ball and wait. All is good. just the same. Why they do this is beyond me.

If you find a answer let me know.

I think you may be correct, had the same prob with my kicker a while back. I drained the carb in case there was a water buildup (which there was) replaced gas filter and changed priming ball. problem solved.

Where did the water come from?

If so Islandgirl where did you buy your gas as I will not go there. Scary stuff if this is the case.

Hey Island girl- definately sounds like its an air lock developing in your hose. One thing to check before buying a new bulb- ensure that the outlet end of the bulb is facing up because if not, the checkballs may not be seating properly and fuel can drain back.

I can see that being a problem...But if it is not. Is this weather or temp. related as I think mine is. Almost sure of it.

Maybe is two different problems but it sounds the same. And we are both running our boats in the same water. With in a mile or 4....

Hey Island girl- definately sounds like its an air lock developing in your hose. One thing to check before buying a new bulb- ensure that the outlet end of the bulb is facing up because if not, the checkballs may not be seating properly and fuel can drain back.

IFL my ball sits at aprroximately 40 degrees of vertical. I need to run a longer hose from my fuel water separator to the ball to get it vertical. So I could replace the fuel line first or just replace the ball and fuel line. The ball is almost 7 years old and I have over 950 hours on the main (ball) so maybe it is just wearing out.

I would also check your vent tube believe it or not spiders can get in there and make a web so your tank cant breath properly seen this before also check your lines I had this exact issue with my boat,my kicker motor wouldnt keep a prime turned out to be the fricken spider and also a bad ball.Dont buy the bulbs that are blue and have the different plastic fittings that thread into the end of the bulb they are junk get one that is factory clamped with the right size ends for your hose these have been pressure tested at the factory and should eliminate your troubles good luck with your issue.put your ear down where your bulb is with everything off so its quiet and sqeeze it you might hear a hissing sound then you can trouble shoot where the problem is.

tight lines
Billydoos

I replaced the ball, and I still have the same issue.. Last night the boat was parked on quite a slope, my driveway. I noticed fuel slowly dripping out of the boat drain plug hole on this slope. today I have pulled up the floor. The only place I can think that it would leak would be the gasket around the fuel transducer mounted on top of the tank. All the hoses look good and there is no staining anywhere that I can find. Or maybe the vent tube is plugged and putting addtional pressure on the system?

From the fuel filler neck, the fuel hose breaks into 3 lines, one large and one small into the rear of the fuel tank (by the engine), then one line continues into the front of the tank(front of the boat) This would be the vent line I believe so the tank is vented into itself. I have not yet pulled up the flooring on the front part of the boat since I have to remove seats.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed fuel slowly dripping out of the boat drain plug hole on this slope.

Any thoughts?
I believe gas coming out the boat drain plug, might be a big problem! It sounds like you could have a leak in that gas tank itself? Might be time to get a pressure test and some help on that one!

the fuel fuel in the bilge only happened when the boat was parked on a 15 degree slope for the night. I think the tank could not vent.

My fuel tank vent line comes off the front of the tank, lays flat on top of the tank for 5 feet and then connects with the fuel filler line. I understand this is a very bad design. I blew out the vent line with compressed air and there was about 5 TBSPNS of fuel in it. I also blew air the other way up through the filler neck.
I really see no way that I can re-route my tank vent. I can say that there must be some venting issues because there is some warping in the fuel tank. I am not sure if this is normal over time.

My fuel cap is a perko and it says 'unscrew to clean filter" I have not yet been able to unscrew it.

We put the boat back on the hill today.. Fuel was leaking from the gasket on the sending unit. Two of the screws were stripped so re-tapped them, and I hope that solves the fuel leak..
I ordered a brand new fuel line including connections and priming ball from honda, that will go to the water/fuel filter.
I will post when I know if that works or not.

We determined the power loss was a fuel problem, so changed BOTH the Raycor filter and the Honda fuel filter
BINGO
Problem solved! Not really sure which filter it was, or even a combination of both?
I wanted to post this if anyone else has the same sort of issues.

We determined the power loss was a fuel problem, so changed BOTH the Raycor filter and the Honda fuel filter
BINGO
Problem solved! Not really sure which filter it was, or even a combination of both?
I wanted to post this if anyone else has the same sort of issues.

04-26-2011 06:29 PM Today is 04-27-2012 05:28 AM? If I figured this right, that was 12 months, 1 day, 11 hours, 59 minutes to figure out it was a fuel filter? Sorry, couldn't resist! :)

I know most might not do this; however, I do. May I suggest changing your fuel filter a little more often? I change mine at the begining of each year!

04-26-2011 06:29 PM Today is 04-27-2012 05:28 AM? If I figured this right, that was 12 months, 1 day, 11 hours, 59 minutes to figure out it was a fuel filter? Sorry, couldn't resist! :)

I know most might not do this; however, I do. May I suggest changing your fuel filter a little more often? I change mine at the begining of each year!
Like my better half says..
"I spend lots of time in the boat. It just happens to be in the driveway maintaining it"

Back