Looking to repower for reliability and long runs offshore

kanuckle head

I have a 28ft mid 80's Trophy with a single SBC Volvo IO in desperate need of an upgrade, definitely not one to take crossing the straights, let alone offshore
I looked at a EFI big block package that seems economical close @ hand, but for reliability diesel is the vote of choice. More coin for the package, not just in the motor & outdrive but the mods to get her in plus the fact that diesel is not as cheap as it once were

The one option that I have always wanted since I bought this boat was to turf the IO pod the unit and have twin outboards, mods & motors cost more but having 2 powers 60 miles offshore is better than one
So is the offset of 15K of the more expensive IO upgrade to twin outboards, worth ones life & piece of mind???

I know I can always sell the boat & get a twin powered craft, but I love her & prior to having this hull dreamed that one day I would have one
I would also like to add that her stingers & transom are sound, so she'd be a perfect candidate for a pod add on plus my buddy's has dun this already as a working boy for many years on the same hull

Please give me your opinion
Thanx

KH

do the pod,, throw on twin zuki's and letr rip

A mere 30-40K , and you're golden ! ;)

"I know I can always sell the boat & get a twin powered craft, but I love her & prior to having this hull dreamed that one day I would have one
I would also like to add that her stingers & transom are sound, so she'd be a perfect candidate for a pod add on plus my buddy's has dun this already as a working boy for many years on the same hull"

never fall in love with a boat it is very expensive. Sell the rig and get a good hull and a single outboard Suzuki , Honda , Yamaha , E-Tec 250 with a kicker. Lots of bargains around right now and ultimately you will end up with something that is tested and has value. Slapping a pod onto any boat does not mean it will go through the water well and the resale value of most refits is considerably lower than stock rigs.Don't think with your heart.

beemer

My two cents -- going dual twins may not be the best option -- depends upon the size of the engines. You're assuming that the boat can get up on plane on a single engine and that's not always the case. If it can get up on one engine, then great you can get back on a single engine -- if not, you're really no better off than running a kicker that can get you up to maximum hull speed. I'd expect that the one in your pic there with twin 250's would be able to get up on a single engine -- but 500Hp on that boat is likely way over the safety rating of that vessel. I also wouldn't expect that it would make any financial sense to put $35-40K worth of engines into that hull as you might be challenged to recover it if you had to sell the boat.

As for diesel vs. gas, certainly a diesel burns less fuel however, you really have to rack up the hours to ever recoup the cost differential of the engine packages. Parts replacement and maintenance also tends to be higher on a diesel than a gas engine as they tend to be proprietary rather than have multiple sources and OEM manufacturers.

Depending on the condition of your leg, you can get a drop-in big block engine package for $5-8K (Michigan Motorz is a good source). Also watch Craigslist as I've seen a few Engine/Leg packages. As for reliability, it's pretty hard to beat a modern EFI I/O. They are very easy to work on, parts are readily available and the newest ones come with communicating gauge packages that will even self-diagnose (I have a 2004 Mercruiser that sends me updates for any sensor activities with specific text messages of any issues via the engine gauge).

Some Vancouver examples from CL: used 5.7 package http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/boa/2824613057.html

New 496/Bravo 3 package: [URL]http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/boa/2822332472.html
[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Even a complete replacement of leg and motor plus a good sized kicker could be a lot cheaper than podding and twinning.

My two cents -- going dual twins may not be the best option -- depends upon the size of the engines. You're assuming that the boat can get up on plane on a single engine and that's not always the case. If it can get up on one engine, then great you can get back on a single engine -- if not, you're really no better off than running a kicker that can get you up to maximum hull speed. I'd expect that the one in your pic there with twin 250's would be able to get up on a single engine -- but 500Hp on that boat is likely way over the safety rating of that vessel. I also wouldn't expect that it would make any financial sense to put $35-40K worth of engines into that hull as you might be challenged to recover it if you had to sell the boat.

As for diesel vs. gas, certainly a diesel burns less fuel however, you really have to rack up the hours to ever recoup the cost differential of the engine packages. Parts replacement and maintenance also tends to be higher on a diesel than a gas engine as they tend to be proprietary rather than have multiple sources and OEM manufacturers.

Depending on the condition of your leg, you can get a drop-in big block engine package for $5-8K (Michigan Motorz is a good source). Also watch Craigslist as I've seen a few Engine/Leg packages. As for reliability, it's pretty hard to beat a modern EFI I/O. They are very easy to work on, parts are readily available and the newest ones come with communicating gauge packages that will even self-diagnose (I have a 2004 Mercruiser that sends me updates for any sensor activities with specific text messages of any issues via the engine gauge).

Some Vancouver examples from CL: used 5.7 package http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/boa/2824613057.html

New 496/Bravo 3 package: [URL]http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/boa/2822332472.html
[/URL]

Even a complete replacement of leg and motor plus a good sized kicker could be a lot cheaper than podding and twinning.

Sounds great, but in a worse case synerio a kicker will get me back in 10 hrs on a calm 50mile run in our unpredictable west coast weather
Will just have to run more preventive maintenance if a single motor is on the menu or go out on a buddy run, but I'd hate to jeopardize other lives to ensure my lack of confidence in a motor choice that was enhanced by the more economical deal

Kh

Soundsgreat, but in a worse case synerio a kicker will get me back in 10 hrs on acalm 50mile run in our unpredictable west coast weather
Will just have to run more preventive maintenance if a single motor is on themenu or go out on a buddy run, but I'd hate to jeopardize other lives to ensuremy lack of confidence in a motor choice that was enhanced by the moreeconomical deal

Kh

Most twins are not designed to plane on single engine power; however, that one engine will still provide more speed than any normal kicker. Maximum Hull Speed will start coming into play with that scenario. Meaning you have to look at power and fuel being consumed verses speed traveling. On a GOOD day, on single engine I can still run between 12-15 knots in those WCVI swells, currents, and winds. On a bad day, it would probably take me 6 or 7 VERY LONG hours to get in from 50 miles offshore. I personally based on my experience, would always count and plan on having that “BAD” day.

50 miles offshore:
Twins = good
By yourself, single engine, with or without "kicker" = VERY bad idea !

If anyone thinks they are going to run in from any where offshore on a “kicker” you might want to re-think that?? Been there… and I gladly accepted a tow from a passing “sailboat” with a ground speed of 3 knots, which was a hell of a lot faster than my kickers 1 knot!!

10 hours to run-in on a calm day 50 miles offshore with any “kicker” is WAY optimistic. The good news is every 6 hours you will be going with those 2 knot tides. The bad news, is every 6 hours is you will also be going directly against those 2 knot tides. More bad news, take a look at those North Pacific Currents. You will be fighting those. They have nothing to do with tide changes. My advice there is start making some arrangements a little further north, as in Alaska as that is where those currents will be trying to take you. If one is 50 miles offshore, on a calm day, averaging 2 knots ground speed (which IMHO is very optimistic) that = 25 hours = approximately TWO DAYS! Again, IMHO… plan on that “BAD” day!

Here is the currents in the Strait:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/sci/juandefuca/jdf_west_animation.htm

Here is why you might need that Alaska address:

PacificOceanCurrents.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Once you've had twins you never go back. Ask Firelight about motor failure 32 miles offshore. I made it in after 2 hrs on an single 150 Optimax after blowing up one.

Once you've had twins you never go back. Ask Firelight about motor failure 32 miles offshore. I made it in after 2 hrs on an single 150 Optimax after blowing up one.

OffShore and Merc in the same sentence Hmmm Do not get me wrong guys I use to run Merc, in the 70s. Twins are best !!

Thanx for the feed back Boyz
I feel much better, that the onez that fish the grounds of extreme caution (that I'm shoot'n 4) have given the thought of getting back 2 port some importance
With my concerns of offshore reliability is what I need input to get the proper direction
Cost, it will B out of reach now, but something to save for the Luv of my boat in dayz 2 come

Kh

OffShore and Merc in the same sentence Hmmm Do not get me wrong guys I use to run Merc, in the 70s. Twins are best !!

I don't know what you run but I have run those twin Opti's on my 26 Hourston charterboat hard for 12 yrs with very little problems (only 2 breakdowns total) running 30 to 50 miles offshore regularly for Albies as well as predominantly offshore fishing for Salmon and Halis, etc........they also provide outstanding fuel economy.The one that blew up had 5 yrs old running over 100 days a year so i think i got my money's worth.

But then again, i do regular service & maintenance on all my equipment.

Pretty hard to compare O/B's from the 70's to O/B's today. I had a 1976 Merc O/B. Worst O/B I've ever owned. I'm now running a 2005 Optimax. Probably the best O/B I've ever owned.
Dave

Single Diesel with a kicker LOL:p

Attachments

• n646286166_515025_5135.jpg
    n646286166_515025_5135.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 67
  • n646286166_515027_5631.jpg
    n646286166_515027_5631.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 61
Back