Looking To Hook Into A Decent Trout This Week...

TelStar26

I have a buddy Here from alberta for a few days, and were looking to get some time out on the lakes. We have a small dinngy with either an electic motor, or a 2 hp gas.
Can anybody direct us to a lake in the southern island area(were in sooke) that might produce? I would prefer to fly fish, but trolling would also work.
Thanks for any info for advice guys!

Langford is slowly starting to produce. The water is still in the low 40's though. Casting flies into the rings has been fun for the sippers in the evening, if its calm enough. Fish have been in te 14-18 inch range.
There is always a better chance to get a decent fish or two at Elk but havent made it out there for a while

quote:Originally posted by TelStar26

I have a buddy Here from alberta for a few days, and were looking to get some time out on the lakes. We have a small dinngy with either an electic motor, or a 2 hp gas.
Can anybody direct us to a lake in the southern island area(were in sooke) that might produce? I would prefer to fly fish, but trolling would also work.
Thanks for any info for advice guys!

A friend of mine has fished Elk and been producing on power bait, I don't know what kind of fly you could drag. Langford is a great lake, but no gasser motors there, so Elk/Beaver are your best bet.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Kemp Lake is located 6km west of Sooke.

Access to the lake is via Highway 14, Kemp Lake Road and Chubb Road.

Size: 26 hectares

Elevation: 50 metres

Depth: Maximum 11m/36 ft.

Fish Stocked: Rainbow Trout, Cutthroat Trout

Fish Found: Rainbow Trout, good-sized Cutthroat Trout

Best Fishing: March to June, September to October

Facilities: Boat Launch

Fishing restrictions apply. Powerboats prohibited. All facilities nearby. Good fly lake in March.

Looks like youd need to bring some paddles? But it is worth a try there. I heard the Lake holds a few lunkers!!

Take only what you need.

I used to fish Kemp all the time when I lived in Sooke. It's a tough lake but there are some big cutties.

KempLakeTrophy001.jpg

Either of the weedy end-bays produced best for me. I seem to remember the black rolled muddlers being good.

BL

Thanks guys! Ill be out in kelp lake now Till I get one of those monsters! Im only catch and release, dont worry!!
What did the fly look like for that cutty? What line were you using, about how deep was the fly? Was it a steady retreave?
Thanks!

Thanks again for the info guys.
We ended up going to langford lake tuesday,(In the windstorm!!) we fished powerbait off the bottom, spinners, and wet flies all with no luck.
This afternoon we fished kemp lake. We trolled a blue wedding band with one large splitshot 18 inches up, with a 1 inch piece of worm hanging off the hook. We couldnt keep the trout off!
We hooked into about 25, and got 15 to the boat. they were all around 12 inches. No lunkers, but not to bad. we got rainbows and cutthroats, and 2 looked like cutbows! All in about 2 hours.
Im heading out again tomorow moring with only the fly rod, Probly to kemp lake to try and get one of those monster cuttys. Was that a searun cutthroat in that pic possibly?

Anyways, thanks again guys!

Ps. We let them all go, to be caught another day.... Like tomorow morning!

The far end of Langford has been good Dragging wooly buggers....Black, olive or brown

quote:Originally posted by Sugar Magnolia

Kemp lake was stocked yesterday.:D
B, lost your number again....shoot an e

Back