Let's see your flasherless set ups.

PEETZcanada

What I mean is, let's see your rigs and set ups for zero drag battles.
Here is one that I started using recently with some great success. The idea came from a friend. (Monty) from Victoria.
Great for springs and coho so far. I'll try trout soon too.

Attachments

• 20240809_221833.jpg
    20240809_221833.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 292
  • 20240805_201454.jpg
    20240805_201454.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 285
  • 20240805_201726.jpg
    20240805_201726.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 283
No one else have any unique ways to get em without exess drag? I am primarily a plug and big spoon angler. Since developing my latest two spoon profiles, I was looking for a few solutions. The Bait Buster lure being used as a teaser rig worked great as an attractor. The battles have been amazing. Smalls feel like 20's when they are running.

I would say the most common is a dummy flasher 6’ off the ball and a naked spoon, or teaser head with chovie behind that. You get the benefit of the flasher but the enjoyment of a direct line to lure fight.
@Original got me into some beauties last summer (or maybe the year before it’s been a blur) with a black and glow flasher and anchovies. What a blast!

Last edited:
Dummies are pretty old news, we've used them since the late 80's, hense why they are quite commonly used. I use cannonballs as my attractors and have been since I invented the glow and 50/50 glow uv coated cannonballs. They to are old news. I am curious about any outside the box ideas. I thought Monty's idea with the Bait Buster was unique and gave it a shot. I have fished it for both coho and Chinook and I congratulated him for a well thought out idea and thanked him for sharing it with me.

No one else have any unique ways to get em without exess drag? I am primarily a plug and big spoon angler. Since developing my latest two spoon profiles, I was looking for a few solutions. The Bait Buster lure being used as a teaser rig worked great as an attractor. The battles have been amazing. Smalls feel like 20's when they are running.
So instead of the dummy flasher off the ball, a bait buster plastic scented strip instead??? I would think they hit that again n again...

So instead of the dummy flasher off the ball, a bait buster plastic scented strip instead??? I would think they hit that again n again...
That's why it works. In testing my spoons, I used no scent on the Bait Buster. It was set up for deep water, 36 inch leader between the spoon and the Bait Buster with plain lead balls on the downrigger, clipped in at 25ft back. The spoons fished well without the added attractor too in shallow and topwater for coho.

Not very innovative...but I've switched to using dummy flashers, and I don't know why by the spinning triangle seems to out perform the classic 11" board. Maybe its the flasher, or maybe fish just like the starboard rigger? :) Spinning triangle dummy, and a coho killer spoon, has been getting everything this summer. I love how easy it is to fish deep, reset, and set lighter tension on the clip.

Not very innovative...but I've switched to using dummy flashers, and I don't know why by the spinning triangle seems to out perform the classic 11" board. Maybe its the flasher, or maybe fish just like the starboard rigger? :) Spinning triangle dummy, and a coho killer spoon, has been getting everything this summer. I love how easy it is to fish deep, reset, and set lighter tension on the clip.
They kill

I think it’s innovative. I need to find the one triangle I have somewhere and give it a try!

All chrome 6" Wonder. 20 feet behind the clip.
Or sometimes add a green daisy chain just above the ball. Clip 3 feet above that.
Make sure your stop is set to kick before you knock your clip off.

6'' Tomic 602 with pins pulled dragging a 6'' Grand Slam Bucktail itself shakin' from an X lg Wigglefin; this outfit is absolute murder on Spring Salmon (but expensive to lose)

20240820-125243-1.jpg

Last edited:
6'' Tomic 602 with pins pulled dragging a 6'' Grand Salm Bucktail itself shakin' from an X lg Wigglefin; this outfit is absolute murder on Spring Salmon (but expensive to lose)

20240820-125243-1.jpg
That's incredible

6 feet.

It's an old Tomic idea using one of their plugs as a flasher/dodger/attractor.

A friend of mind used to do that with a white hootchie about 4’ back of the plug. The pins weren’t pulled though and he tied it to the bottom eye of the plug. It was before electric downriggers or releases were used. There was a rubber snubber off the clip that went on the downrigger wire with about 20’ of heavy mono (100 lb +?) that we used to hand line in after you cranked the ball up.

All chrome 6" Wonder. 20 feet behind the clip.
Or sometimes add a green daisy chain just above the ball. Clip 3 feet above that.
Make sure your stop is set to kick before you knock your clip off.

I've knocked off a few clips because of this error...so my trick is to add a short line as a safety for the clip, attached loosely to the rigger line.
Get an 8 foot cord end for the downrigger. So the cord acts as a natural stopper at 8 feet, then a 1 foot snubber, then the cannonball.
No need for the yellow or orange rigger stoppers, because the cord takes over that job and WILL NOT MOVE.
Attach the clip to the cord as usual, just low enough to avoid getting bumped off. Add a short (8 inch) piece of line to the clip harness, and clip it onto the downrigger cord as a safety. This way when it inevitably pops off, you don't lose your clip harness.
Attach the dummy to the snubber. Long enough to avoid getting it wrapped around the downrigger line. Roughly 4' plus.
Use a triangle dummy flasher, which is way less likely to wrap itself around the rigger cord.
The result will be a line clip about 6' above the dummy.
With this setup I still get tangles once in a while, but not bad.
I let the spoon follow the dummy flasher by at least 6 feet. The salmon seem to find it just fine, pretty much any distance behind the dummy flasher.

I should take a picture...but i'd guess anyone using scotty riggers probably has long figured out that the stoppers are imperfect and an 8 foot cord end is way more reliable.

Back