Lets see your favorite vintage trolling spoons.

PEETZcanada

Way Over 100 years of fishing on the coast of British Columbia, let's see some of your favorite vintage spoons, whether you fish them or collect them.

Tom Mack is one of many that I like.
When I caught my first tyee. It was on a larger red and white HOOKUM spoon. These are standards.

Attachments

• 20240714_183933.jpg
    20240714_183933.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240714_184727.jpg
    20240714_184727.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
IMG_2837.jpegIMG_2838.jpeg
I do like the Tom Macks, the Wonder, the Stewart. And this is just about the time of year to pull a couple down from the wall and put them on the boat--in the rotation for non-prime-time tinkering. I don't honestly think they are as effective as the best "modern" spoons but you're not going to see a Wonder spoon bent and chipped after a few good spring hits.

It's never exactly the same from one season to the next, but we've had some great days offshore of WH using big, old spoons in 50/50 copper/brass, when the fish are eating big herring. I'm not sure the particular spoon pattern is as important as how it swims with the weight of the hook chosen. For example, I get amazing results out of the #7 size of a particular spoon pattern with a particular mustad heavy siwash hook, but haven't yet found "the hook" to use with the #8 size. And I have WAY more of the 8s than 7s... Have noticed also that modern renditions of classic spoons (wonder, superior, etc.) are stamped from thinner materials. I've not tried the newer ones. The older ones are heavy and very sturdy as mentioned above.

The spoon corrosion can be a PITA. Here's how I've dealt with it as a sporty. Presuming you're dealing with a spoon that's not pitted beyond hope, I use Red Bear powder polish in the first step to work on the heavy corrosion, and either Mrs. Douglas or Flitz polish as the final. Soft cotton rag to apply, and wipe off completely with a soft cotton towel. You can take a pretty sorry looking spoon and get it to shine. Once it's shiny, I equip it with a carbon steel siwash hook (the mustad 9510xx series, I have some bare steel older ones and some blued new ones), wrap in a paper towel with one or two others and put in a ziploc, with the ziploc labeled. They'll show fingerprints and other corrosion patterns if you look at them incorrectly...

The carbon steel hook is the anode for a spoon. I've tried big mustad SS hooks and end up with a haze on the spoons while they troll. I think commies used to use a twist of haywire or a "jump ring" made of iron or aluminum on one of the brazed spoon rings back in the old days...a few of my spoons had a rusty ring on the tail end. I mash the barb flat, file it off if it breaks and leaves a nub, sharpen the tip, and I use the plier to tweak the hook tip back toward the hook eye a small amount. Sometimes I also bend an offset in the hook, so that the tip isn't quite inplane with the shank. They hold fish pretty well.

These only get used over the course of a single 1-week trip to the island per year. After a day's use, you can't leave them laying around unless you've dipped them in fresh water and completely and totally dried them with a cotton t-shirt or towel, otherwise they'll tarnish overnight and need repolish. If you leave them in a bucket or Nalgene bottle of saltwater, there may be a scum of red rust residue on the spoons the next day and some stained water, but a quick paper towel or t-shirt wipeoff and few minutes trolled and the shine will come back. At least that's what I've found. So now I keep a nalgene of freshwater on the boat and either dunk/dry, or if I somehow end up without fresh water, fill it with saltwater and keep the spoons overnight in the bottle.

For the OCD types, you'll be troubled to know that I've used the same rusty CS hooks from year to year without replacement. The corrosion seems to be a surface issue rather than a stress/crack issue as with SS. What I find, is if I take a spoon from the previous year and prep it for the next season, upon the first use the red rust on the hook will turn black - almost like parkerizing - and remain that matte black for the rest of the week. I'll touch up the tip with a file to where it's dangerous and get fishing.

A small amount of storage discoloration or tarnish will disappear when trolled in saltwater with the CS hook. That kind of blew my mind.

I don't know how the commies dealt with 20-40 tarnishing spoons when not in use...I've read of them stored in an aluminum or galvanized bucket full of saltwater, or using solutions of antifreeze or hydrotone in the same aluminum or galvanized bucket.

There's probably an easier way to do these things but this has worked for me.

I have many OLD copies of that 50/50 brass/copper "wonder" in the photo above, but that's not been the one I've been using. But I bet it would work if I gave it a chance, because the same color in a different oldschool spoon is deadly, and the kids won't let me try anything else yet. There's a ziploc of the Wonders in the boat when I'm up that way.

A couple others that I've prepped but not tried are a wrinkly one called "JHS", some McMahon's in #8, #7 and #6.5, a skinnier pattern called "PTH", and some others. It's quite a mix of old stuff...all brass, 50/50 brass copper, or gold-bronze.

It's never exactly the same from one season to the next, but we've had some great days offshore of WH using big, old spoons in 50/50 copper/brass, when the fish are eating big herring. I'm not sure the particular spoon pattern is as important as how it swims with the weight of the hook chosen. For example, I get amazing results out of the #7 size of a particular spoon pattern with a particular mustad heavy siwash hook, but haven't yet found "the hook" to use with the #8 size. And I have WAY more of the 8s than 7s... Have noticed also that modern renditions of classic spoons (wonder, superior, etc.) are stamped from thinner materials. I've not tried the newer ones. The older ones are heavy and very sturdy as mentioned above.

The spoon corrosion can be a PITA. Here's how I've dealt with it as a sporty. Presuming you're dealing with a spoon that's not pitted beyond hope, I use Red Bear powder polish in the first step to work on the heavy corrosion, and either Mrs. Douglas or Flitz polish as the final. Soft cotton rag to apply, and wipe off completely with a soft cotton towel. You can take a pretty sorry looking spoon and get it to shine. Once it's shiny, I equip it with a carbon steel siwash hook (the mustad 9510xx series, I have some bare steel older ones and some blued new ones), wrap in a paper towel with one or two others and put in a ziploc, with the ziploc labeled. They'll show fingerprints and other corrosion patterns if you look at them incorrectly...

The carbon steel hook is the anode for a spoon. I've tried big mustad SS hooks and end up with a haze on the spoons while they troll. I think commies used to use a twist of haywire or a "jump ring" made of iron or aluminum on one of the brazed spoon rings back in the old days...a few of my spoons had a rusty ring on the tail end. I mash the barb flat, file it off if it breaks and leaves a nub, sharpen the tip, and I use the plier to tweak the hook tip back toward the hook eye a small amount. Sometimes I also bend an offset in the hook, so that the tip isn't quite inplane with the shank. They hold fish pretty well.

These only get used over the course of a single 1-week trip to the island per year. After a day's use, you can't leave them laying around unless you've dipped them in fresh water and completely and totally dried them with a cotton t-shirt or towel, otherwise they'll tarnish overnight and need repolish. If you leave them in a bucket or Nalgene bottle of saltwater, there may be a scum of red rust residue on the spoons the next day and some stained water, but a quick paper towel or t-shirt wipeoff and few minutes trolled and the shine will come back. At least that's what I've found. So now I keep a nalgene of freshwater on the boat and either dunk/dry, or if I somehow end up without fresh water, fill it with saltwater and keep the spoons overnight in the bottle.

For the OCD types, you'll be troubled to know that I've used the same rusty CS hooks from year to year without replacement. The corrosion seems to be a surface issue rather than a stress/crack issue as with SS. What I find, is if I take a spoon from the previous year and prep it for the next season, upon the first use the red rust on the hook will turn black - almost like parkerizing - and remain that matte black for the rest of the week. I'll touch up the tip with a file to where it's dangerous and get fishing.

A small amount of storage discoloration or tarnish will disappear when trolled in saltwater with the CS hook. That kind of blew my mind.

I don't know how the commies dealt with 20-40 tarnishing spoons when not in use...I've read of them stored in an aluminum or galvanized bucket full of saltwater, or using solutions of antifreeze or hydrotone in the same aluminum or galvanized bucket.

There's probably an easier way to do these things but this has worked for me.
Exactly, simply follow what commercial fisherman do for the most part to look after your blades. Hydrotone was widely used for many years, however harder to locate a good supply. I personaly use CLR. It helps stop the diminishment of your blades while in storage. I only use stainless hooks on stainless blades, unless I want my spoon hot. I use hi-carbon and blued or blackened hooks on all metal finishes. I only use stainless with stainless blades, plugs and hoochies. Althought in the last 10 years I have been using hi-carbon tinned hooks from Japan on my plugs, hoochies and many spoons.

Vancouver, British Columbia
The Rice Spoon. I am surprised it's still not used. It's quite effective where smaller baitfish are found around structure.

Attachments

• 20240716_203845.jpg
    20240716_203845.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240716_205051.jpg
    20240716_205051.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 34
TOM MACK

KRIPLED K #1 & #2
Jim Gilbert originals. He was a very smart angler. I was excited to meet him as a kid growing up around Victoria and meeting many of the other local tackle greats that helped form our industry.

Attachments

• 20240716_203524.jpg
    20240716_203524.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20240716_205350.jpg
    20240716_205350.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 28
GIBBS Kamloops spoon

Limper spoon

PEETZ V SPOON

Attachments

• 20240716_203638.jpg
    20240716_203638.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240716_204834.jpg
    20240716_204834.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240716_205024.jpg
    20240716_205024.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 22
Here is my collection of the tiniest McMahon spoons to the largest.

Attachments

• 20240717_100318.jpg
    20240717_100318.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 23
Here's a few more boxes old Palco commercial spoons as well as others the I have collected over the years.
I have a lot of copies of various big spoons that are either nasty painted or tarnished beyond what is reasonable to restore. I've read stories about otherwise highliner trollers whose blades are stored day-to-day in a pile of leaders and looked really tarnished...green and dull beyond restoration...makes me wonder if the fish want something not-shiny under the right conditions. The big ones polished to perfection sure look pretty when pulled beside the boat.

Those big 50/50 miller or Kach-Mor would be the first ones in the water out on the highway for me...riggers at 170 and 210 feet. I have a single big miller spoon in my stash but it needs some care. Would be fun to have a week or more to give all of those patterns a fair shake out on the highway and try to get them dialed with different hook weights.

I really dig that P2B pattern also, but don't know if it suits any WCVI forage I've seen lately, which has either been tiny herring-like, some candlefish, med to large squid, or big herring. Seems like no in-between. I had a few years living up in AK and fishing off prince william sound where 4.0 and 5.0 coyotes and the "sonic edge" were same size as some sort of eulachon-like bait the chinook were on - that P2B would be perfect there.

Fun to see the different ancient spoons, but I'd like to hear if anyone's fished them to good effect. I'm a little evasive on *exactly* what I use but it's a common pattern and I couch it with my opinion that pattern might not matter as long as the spoon is the "right" size and swims correctly; that's a speed and hook weight issue.

I have a lot of copies of various big spoons that are either nasty painted or tarnished beyond what is reasonable to restore. I've read stories about otherwise highliner trollers whose blades are stored day-to-day in a pile of leaders and looked really tarnished...green and dull beyond restoration...makes me wonder if the fish want something not-shiny under the right conditions. The big ones polished to perfection sure look pretty when pulled beside the boat.

Those big 50/50 miller or Kach-Mor would be the first ones in the water out on the highway for me...riggers at 170 and 210 feet. I have a single big miller spoon in my stash but it needs some care. Would be fun to have a week or more to give all of those patterns a fair shake out on the highway and try to get them dialed with different hook weights.

I really dig that P2B pattern also, but don't know if it suits any WCVI forage I've seen lately, which has either been tiny herring-like, some candlefish, med to large squid, or big herring. Seems like no in-between. I had a few years living up in AK and fishing off prince william sound where 4.0 and 5.0 coyotes and the "sonic edge" were same size as some sort of eulachon-like bait the chinook were on - that P2B would be perfect there.

Fun to see the different ancient spoons, but I'd like to hear if anyone's fished them to good effect. I'm a little evasive on *exactly* what I use but it's a common pattern and I couch it with my opinion that pattern might not matter as long as the spoon is the "right" size and swims correctly; that's a speed and hook weight issue.
I have been fishing them all my life. That is why I boughjt all the PAL machinery, tools and dies a number of years ago. The blades work all over the coast. Now that I have aquired all the PEETZ assets, tools, dies, equiptment and machinery, quite a lot of these workhosrse lures will be coming back into the market in the near future.

I stamped SYLVESTER Secret spoons last week and HOOKUM blanks yesterday, and today amoung other things I will be forming the HOOKUM blades into shape.

Keep in mind almost every vintage lure worth its salt was made in North America at one time. There are not very may companies left that wholy produce their lures all right here in Canada or the USA for that mater. PEETZ being one of the few and now almost 100 years old and still continuing on with the traditions that Boris Peetz founded his company upon - all while manufacturing right here on Vancouver Island.

Last edited:
Here's a couple that the rowboat angler's might get excited about, or maybe they have too many already. Ha, lol 😂

Attachments

• 20240717_074905.jpg
    20240717_074905.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240717_074957.jpg
    20240717_074957.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 24
Back