Leftover line

kapliger

Hello there,

Just joined this forum as I couldn't really find an answer to my question.
I bought 2 spools of Daiwa J-Braid 300m for my 2 spinning reels. Already put them on the reels, 230m each, 70m each left on the spools.
Bought the wrong # line though & I noticed after I put it on... too heavy
Didn't even touch the water.

It'd fit my Avet MXL & it could use fresh braid, but that would take the whole 600m so both spools. And the line is technically split in 4 because of the leftovers (230m+230m+70m+70m), so that would be 3 knots in the line if I used it all. Too many knots? What would you do?

Hello there,

Just joined this forum as I couldn't really find an answer to my question.
I bought 2 spools of Daiwa J-Braid 300m for my 2 spinning reels. Already put them on the reels, 230m each, 70m each left on the spools.
Bought the wrong # line though & I noticed after I put it on... too heavy
Didn't even touch the water.

It'd fit my Avet MXL & it could use fresh braid, but that would take the whole 600m so both spools. And the line is technically split in 4 because of the leftovers (230m+230m+70m+70m), so that would be 3 knots in the line if I used it all. Too many knots? What would you do?
Depends what you are fishing for? I would start over. For Coho, mono between 12 and 15# works just fine on a casting reel. Salmon trolling I prefer 25# mono main line. Others have different choices.

lot of us guys that use large arbour single action reels have at least three or four knots inline . i have backing, braid, and finally a top shot of mono. i personally use a double uni knot to join the sections. if properly done and moistened tension etc they are insanely strong

lot of us guys that use large arbour single action reels have at least three or four knots inline . i have backing, braid, and finally a top shot of mono. i personally use a double uni knot to join the sections. if properly done and moistened tension etc they are insanely strong
Yeah, I was thinking double uni too.
Depends what you are fishing for? I would start over. For Coho, mono between 12 and 15# works just fine on a casting reel. Salmon trolling I prefer 25# mono main line. Others have different choices.
AJs, Albies, small groupers etc.
I'll probably just tie properly & go for it.

Thanks.

I don’t mind having a fg knot sliding through the guides to have a mono top shot but I wouldn’t want 4 knots banging through the guides all the time. What do you mean it won’t touch the water? How heavy is the line?
Buy a big spoil for your avet and use that. No point loosing a big yellowtail when it bites unexpectedly and your knots get tested

Back