lake trolling methods,dos and don'ts.

• Thread starter Thread starter gyper
  • Start date Start date
G

gyper

I'm fairly new to trolling on lakes,and hoping I could get a few tips.What are some of the set-ups used and what works at this time of season. I've tried a few things but getting frustrated.thanks in advance.

Would help to know where you are fishing and what you're fishing for. What kind of gear have you been trying, fly fishing or hardware?

Thanks anyways guys,I was in Wal-mart an hour ago today and the clerk gave me lots of helpful info that I guess wasn't known to any one here.

I know you think I'm jokin ya,but this kid has fished Langford,Thetis,and Metchosun for years. i've seen him at Langford in a nice lttle 12' alluminum done to the nines.
Recognized him at Langford store working in Sporting goods. Says he needs $ for school. nice kid. :)

When you asked about tips for lake trolling my first thought was exactly what kildonan asked. There are hundreds of lakes on the island and there definatly is a difference between fishing the small ones compared to the larger ones. There is a wealth of information on this site i'm sure if u had questions about a more specific topic say fly trolling on a small lake for rainbows you'd get some very helpfull tips.

Hi Gyper,
Glad your finding some info. You said you would be fishing Langford Lake. I find that there are many ways to catch fish there. If you don't have a boat there is a nice wharf to fish off of if you follow the path from the boat launch. Its about a 10 minute walk. Use a very light egg hook with floating power bait That way when you cast out your weight will be on the bottom but your bait will be about 3 feet off the bottom and above the weeds. Let me know if you need to know more about how to set up this type of rig.
If you have a boat with either an electric motor or oars you can use a small Gang troll with worm and troll with it. A bit of weight to get the gear down a few feet, 40 pulls behind the boat and troll slow..... but make sure your going fast enough that the gear is working properly. If you like to fish with a fly a good bet would be to use a small black leech it will imitate a black ant hatch which happens more then once a season so it is always a good bet to use a black fly to troll with. A wedding band and a worm always seems to work for me. These are just the basics and with a bit of experiance you will find what works best for you. Experiment with all types of lures and methods and in no time you will be catching lots of trout. Hope this helps you out. Steve.

Back