Kyuquot vs Bella Bella?

the force

Crew Member
Starting to think about next summer and have lots of research to do yet- would love to hear some perspectives from you all.

I’m travelling from Kamloops, Bella Coola is slightly closer then Fair Harbour (750 vs 820km) and no ferry hassle. I’ve never fished the shearwater area, fished winter harbour and CR ‘23 and Port Eliza and Barkley in ‘24.
WCVI is great and I’ve heard mixed reviews on shearwater area salmon (excellent to poor). Access to bottom fish is important, crab and or prawn a bonus.

Fishing out of a 23’ aluminum boat, not a comfortable ride in big water but handles it fine/safely.

Love seeing new scenery and experience the ocean, primary objective is bringing home a mixed box of seafood to feed the family. Would ideally be staying in budget accoms walking distance to the boat, or on the boat tied up (depends on who come with me).

Discussion of pros and cons would be great if you are willing to share.

Salmon especially Chinook returns on the mid-coast have been so/so these past few years*-bottomfish is usually decent.

* I mean if I was paying the money I used to pay to fish Milbanke with the results they've had I'd

1-be pissed right off

2-never going back

Starting to think about next summer and have lots of research to do yet- would love to hear some perspectives from you all.

I’m travelling from Kamloops, Bella Coola is slightly closer then Fair Harbour (750 vs 820km) and no ferry hassle. I’ve never fished the shearwater area, fished winter harbour and CR ‘23 and Port Eliza and Barkley in ‘24.
WCVI is great and I’ve heard mixed reviews on shearwater area salmon (excellent to poor). Access to bottom fish is important, crab and or prawn a bonus.

Fishing out of a 23’ aluminum boat, not a comfortable ride in big water but handles it fine/safely.

Love seeing new scenery and experience the ocean, primary objective is bringing home a mixed box of seafood to feed the family. Would ideally be staying in budget accoms walking distance to the boat, or on the boat tied up (depends on who come with me).

Discussion of pros and cons would be great if you are willing to share.
I have fished both and can say that I have had some of my very best salmon fishing in Milbanke Sound. With that being said I would pick Kyuquot because of the consistent bottom fishing and you can count on fairly good salmon fishing depending on the timing of your trip. Recently Milbanke has been hit or miss for Chinooks. The only upside with Milbanke is that you have a chance at catching a personal best salmon as the Rivers Inlet fish swim past those areas.

Thanks gents, this is consistent with what I’ve heard. If the run is good I’d be down but I don’t get enough trips in per year to risk it, I’d rather a box of 15lb fish in a few hours then grinding it out for a 30 that I would likely release it anyway.

I also feel a bit like if I want big salmon my time and $ are better spent at sandheads lol. Admittedly far from the experience I would get on the central coast, chasing 40s is retirement business for this guy.

Whats the opportunities like at Kyuquot when weather blows in? Still able to find a bit of entertainment?

Yeah, Central Coast sucks, don't go there! This was definitely not from this past summer 😉.

IMG_6842.jpeg

Been up to the Central Coast every year since 2018 and this past summer was the only time we had trouble finding springs, partly because the coho were so thick. No complaints though as we would rather eat coho, our strategy is always to target springs and keep any bleeders and all coho until we limit out. Never a problem finding bottom fish, even this year when the weather limited our options. Next year is a pink year on the Central Coast, so expect to have to wade through quite a few of those (that said, we've never had a problem getting our springs and coho in previous pink years).

Lots of protected water around Shearwater and you don't have to run far for salmon, particularly coho, although some of the prime spots for targeting big springs will be 30+ minutes away, with some are in protected water. Bottom fish will be 45+ minutes and will likely involve being on the outside, but you can find them in protected water as well. A trip out to McInnes is a must do if you get the weather to make the run.

It is nice to have amenities like laundry, pub, groceries and the marine store in Shearwater. Accommodation are pretty basic in the main hotel (logging camp style). The lodge is more upscale, and there are also some vacation rentals in the area - some with docks - which is another option.

Not sure if you can get your fish packed and frozen at Shearwater. They did open up the sportfishing dock this past summer after having it closed since 2020, but that may not extend to vacuum packing and freezing your catch for non-charter guests. If that is important you will want to check with them before you go.

If you want to take a break from fishing, there are quite a few options. Codville Lagoon, islands and beaches down towards Haika pass and Rosco Inlet are all worth checking out. To and from Bella Coola there is Ocean Falls, the Alexander Mackenzie cairn and some hot springs. Throw the crab traps down for a few hours while you are checking out Ocean Falls and they should be jammed with the biggest dungies you've ever seen.

I haven't fished Kyuquot, but have fished out of Barkley, Clayquot and Quatsino Sounds. My view is if you have the option of WCVI vs the Central Coast, I'd take the Central Coast every time for the fishing, wildlife and scenery.

Yeah, Central Coast sucks, don't go there! This was definitely not from this past summer 😉.

View attachment 111581

Been up to the Central Coast every year since 2018 and this past summer was the only time we had trouble finding springs, partly because the coho were so thick. No complaints though as we would rather eat coho, our strategy is always to target springs and keep any bleeders and all coho until we limit out. Never a problem finding bottom fish, even this year when the weather limited our options. Next year is a pink year on the Central Coast, so expect to have to wade through quite a few of those (that said, we've never had a problem getting our springs and coho in previous pink years).

Lots of protected water around Shearwater and you don't have to run far for salmon, particularly coho, although some of the prime spots for targeting big springs will be 30+ minutes away, with some are in protected water. Bottom fish will be 45+ minutes and will likely involve being on the outside, but you can find them in protected water as well. A trip out to McInnes is a must do if you get the weather to make the run.

It is nice to have amenities like laundry, pub, groceries and the marine store in Shearwater. Accommodation are pretty basic in the main hotel (logging camp style). The lodge is more upscale, and there are also some vacation rentals in the area - some with docks - which is another option.

Not sure if you can get your fish packed and frozen at Shearwater. They did open up the sportfishing dock this past summer after having it closed since 2020, but that may not extend to vacuum packing and freezing your catch for non-charter guests. If that is important you will want to check with them before you go.

If you want to take a break from fishing, there are quite a few options. Codville Lagoon, islands and beaches down towards Haika pass and Rosco Inlet are all worth checking out. To and from Bella Coola there is Ocean Falls, the Alexander Mackenzie cairn and some hot springs. Throw the crab traps down for a few hours while you are checking out Ocean Falls and they should be jammed with the biggest dungies you've ever seen.

I haven't fished Kyuquot, but have fished out of Barkley, Clayquot and Quatsino Sounds. My view is if you have the option of WCVI vs the Central Coast, I'd take the Central Coast every time for the fishing, wildlife and scenery.
lol, just when I thought this was going to be a simple answer! Thanks for this… glad to have more pondering through the fall/winter.

Regs are typically the 2 springs and/or up to 4 coho (wild or hatch) by the look of it? Do you recall if there are reduced limits earlier in the year (ie June)? I know nothing is certain these days.

I like Kyuquot myself but I have not fished Bella Bella. Kyuquot is great for salmon and halibut and other bottom fish. Salmon fishing can be amazing out on the ‘highway’ ie the edge of the continental self where the 300+ depth drop off into the deep abyss. You won’t get many crabs though as the sea otters love to eat crab. My thoughts.

Also if you are driving through Bella Coola the road down the giant hill is kinda tricky, unless they have fixed it. Very steep with lots of tight hairpin turns on long switchback road. Was single lane when I did it but that was about 20 years ago.

Also if you are driving through Bella Coola the road down the giant hill is kinda tricky, unless they have fixed it. Very steep with lots of tight hairpin turns on long switchback road. Was single lane when I did it but that was about 20 years ago.
That's all been fixed you can look up Youtube videos of what it's like today it's still gravel but well maintained.

We fish 6 weeks a year in Hardy, Winter Harbor, and the North and Central coast. Fill the freezer on the North island. Cruise and explore north of Hardy. Lots of fish up there but timing is more critical and you are on your own for fish storage.
We stay on the boat and ice any fish we catch on board. Also from Kamloops but we leave our boat in Hardy all summer and run North.

Central coast is gambling for big fish. Sometimes you win big, often you don't. Don't expect to roll up to Cheany pt and crush the tyees. Typically it's 5-20 opportunities on Chinook a day with the odd chance you may get the fish of a lifetime. It's a tough game now....not like the early to mid 2000s and even then the best guys I fished with got 4-5 over 40 a summer and maybe 1-2 over 50. Some summers we didn't get any quality fish.....

lol, just when I thought this was going to be a simple answer! Thanks for this… glad to have more pondering through the fall/winter.

Regs are typically the 2 springs and/or up to 4 coho (wild or hatch) by the look of it? Do you recall if there are reduced limits earlier in the year (ie June)? I know nothing is certain these days.
Yes, 2 springs (no slot) and 4 coho (hatchery or wild) per day. There hasn’t been any change to this since we’ve been going up there.

View attachment 111581

1729000136734.jpeg

Was up to the Central Coast this year for the first time as you can see by the pic same problem as CBsqur with the Coho. The only thing I would add is although we stayed on anchor, we did stay at Shearwater "Resort" one night. I think they "MIGHT" have got carried away with the "Resort". I would classify it as a half decent motel with a 5 star price which is probably okay given the location. But by no means would I classify it as "Budget Accommodations" maybe there is alternate accommodations that I am not aware of. Check Online for current pricing.

Changed a lot with the new owners. Prices way up. We used to be able to freeze fish there. Not any more. Used to buy salt ice at the fish plant. Thier ice plant has now been down for 2 years. Great grocery store on the Bella side though.

I've been to both Kyuquot and Bella Bella in my previous boat - a 16' open boat. For both, fish storage or processing is something you need to check out -- when I went, Bella Bella was the clear winner in that regard, but as the post above shows, these things can change quickly.

There's no comparison in the amount of terrain that's accessible via inside, protected waters. We ranged from Rivers Inlet to Klemtu and poked our noses out into Hakai and the Goose Group. So for exploring and fishing, its Bella Bella.

I'd want current info on all services before I chose - fuel, water, ice, fish storage...

Attachments

• 20231003_170618 1.jpg
    20231003_170618 1.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 19
I've been to both Kyuquot and Bella Bella in my previous boat - a 16' open boat. For both, fish storage or processing is something you need to check out -- when I went, Bella Bella was the clear winner in that regard, but as the post above shows, these things can change quickly.

There's no comparison in the amount of terrain that's accessible via inside, protected waters. We ranged from Rivers Inlet to Klemtu and poked our noses out into Hakai and the Goose Group. So for exploring and fishing, its Bella Bella.

I'd want current info on all services before I chose - fuel, water, ice, fish storage...
That is quite a trip in a 16 foot open boat. Not for me. I've been tested out there in my 28 a few times.

That is quite a trip in a 16 foot open boat. Not for me. I've been tested out there in my 28 a few times.

We entered from Bella Coola and ran the inlet before the afternoon westerly. The trick was to pick the right days to poke our nose out from protected water-- we mostly got it right.

Back