Kootenay lake

Pontoonboats

Hello going to pack up the pontoon boat August 9 and going to little Shuswap. Going to play and fish then on the 16th going to arrow lake or kootenay lake. Just looking to see how the fishing is.?

August is tough on Kootenay lake. Small rainbows in the evenings on small spoons or try down from 90-120 feet with plugs at 2.5-2.8mph or a green flasher with tiger prawn or army truck or green glo hootchie with an 18 inch tie at 1.8-2.0mph. Basically trying for a bull trout. It starts to pick up in mid September again when the water cools down.

There is the odd big rainbow caught in the middle of the summer heat. If you are there and a big thunder storm is coming there is often awesome fishing just before. Just before a big drop in the barometer can be really great fishing. My best day of fishing on Okanagan lake was mid august evening just as a thunderstorm rolled over the mountains the fishing was unreal!!!!

I do fairly well throughout the summer on Arrow Lake for Bull Trout. The rainbows tend to be on the smaller size in Arrow lake with 18"-20" being a nice rainbow whereas the Bull trout I keep range from 5-15 lbs and can usually get into at least a couple over a weekend. I like to use apexes or spoons size 0-1 with a couple ounces of weight or downrigger at 30-40'. Find the cold glacier creeks flowing in and spincast in that water during summer can be productive as well. The kokanee seem to have bounced back this year with tons of them on the surface in the evening but small in the 11-14" range.

Back