Kootenay Lake

Fishhound

Going to spend the last week of June at Kootenay fishing for those big Gerrard Rainbows, haven't been there in June before, so any fishing info would be greatly appreciated

End of June eh? Well past the best time to drag flies but won't do any harm in trying especially if there is some chop. Otherwise the fish are deeper in relation to the water temp and thermocline. Therefore dragging Billies, Dogs and Lymans on your downrigger is called for. Vary depths and speed to find the sweet spot.
I'll be out there this week and the Maylong dragging hairs.

End of June eh? Well past the best time to drag flies but won't do any harm in trying especially if there is some chop. Otherwise the fish are deeper in relation to the water temp and thermocline. Therefore dragging Billies, Dogs and Lymans on your downrigger is called for. Vary depths and speed to find the sweet spot.
I'll be out there this week and the Maylong dragging hairs.

What are Billies and Dogs?

As for gear, as Nak said above. Billies=Bill Normans, Dogs = waterdogs. To get setup with the right gear, see Randy at Gill n Gift in Balfour, great people, great knowledge, and a lotta tackle that's priced very reasonable. Good luck and hope you have a great time, beautiful part of the world.

Thanks for the info, certainly looking forward to going back to Kootenay Lake, last time i got a few small rainbows and one around 12lbs beautiful fish, can't wait

Billy are more for cold water would be better to use apexs and Lyman's. as for the buck tails if we have a cool spring you will do well up top that time a year. Last year it was into July with the fish hitting flies!

Back