JS Sharpe/ Hardy bamboo fly rods value

Tips Up

Recently acquired 1 JS Sharpe and 2 Hardy bamboo rods and looking to assess value and probably sell 2 of 3.

#1 JS Sharpe
“The Avon” Impregnated bamboo casting rod. Looks to measure 10’2”. 45 50 stamped dating it may 1964
Used but excellent condition.

#2 Hardy
The “Palakona” #6
Stamped J659 - this does not match chart so I have been unable to far.
7 1/2ft 228cm
Plastic on handle. Excellent/new condition

#3 Hardy
“The koh-i-noor” Palakona #7
H47051C on reel band dating it 1961

Anyone have any info or advise on where to have evaluated?

IMG_2894.jpegIMG_2892.jpegIMG_2896.jpegIMG_2899.jpegIMG_2901.jpegIMG_2902.jpeg

Last edited:
Your best place for “comp” research would probably be eBay. I have the JS Sharpe 14 foot spey rod and I’ve seen them listed for $ 300 - 400 but that doesn’t necessarily mean people are standing in line to pay that price.

You could also join the website “Speypages”….they have a classified section and a cane rod following, and you could list your rods there,,,,,though unfortunately, in my experience JS Sharpe rods are not really considered high-end collectible rods…they were produced at commodity levels back in the day so that’s probably why……This is just a wild-arsed guess but I’m thinking if you could get $ 300 -400 for the rods you want to cut loose, you should probably feel happy

Another option: https://www.spinozarods.com/collections/j-s-sharpe-bamboo-fly-rods

And final option: go out and use them! It’s a blast to catch fish on a cane rod. I used to actively fish my 14 foot JS Sharpes on the THompson River back in the 80’s and on some of my local rivers. IT made for some incredible memories!

IMG_5910.jpeg

IMG_5911.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5911.jpeg
    IMG_5911.jpeg
    404.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Thanks Sharphooks. Your info seems in line with what I found on web so far. I believe some models and vintages have high value and the rest fairly common as you noted. Looks like in your photos you are paired up with a Hardy reel? There was one of these in the collection with as well that my son will be fishing with. We will probably keep one of the cane rods but I don't see ever using the casting rod and my sons collection of gear is getting a big as mine so we need to move some stuff we won't be using.

I was too quick in my original post. 1 rod is JS Sharpe the other 2 are Hardy. I have updated info above.
I believe the Hardys may have some value.

Any info appreciated.

Still looking for info and values for these rods. All will be for sale.
Recommendations on where to get appraisal and where to sell?
Any info appreciated

Back