Johnson 9.9 outboard motor 2 stroke

Looks like it's a mid 90's model. Does the crack affect anything else?
If it runs well, good compression, new leg oil, good carb, spark plugs etc, and regular maintenance, you can probably get 750 for it. If not, 500 is a fair number considering no tank/hose included.
I just bought a 9.9 off craiglist that idled fine with earmuffs at the guys house, when i took it on a sea trial, it stalled every time it was put it in gear. Wasn't the idle screw or mix ratio, took it back to the guy and basically wasted everyone's time. Try to avoid this, be as honest as possible :)
My 2 cents

Thanks for the input, sorry to hear about that motor of yours. Craigslist can be such a painful waste of time. This motor was on a boat I bought at auction from the fisheries. Im going to buy a new 4 stroke for the boat so I dont need this motor. I dont know the history, but I am assuming that it belonged to the fisheries so it was probably maintained. I have only ran it with the earmuffs on, but on the plus side it did fire up easily.
The crack is minor and in my opinion, a small fiberglass patch would remedy it for good.
Ill change the CL ad to 500. 400 for anyone on here.

These are great little motors. I have it's twin - the Evinrude is the same motor. It runs like a clock and I love it. They are easy to work on and maintain too.

Back