It's time for a new rod and reel

• Thread starter Thread starter stlhddan
  • Start date Start date
S

stlhddan

I am going to be purchasing a new rod and reel. I have been looking at the islander reels, are they worth the $425.00+. I am debating between a level wind and a islander. Your opions are greatly appreciated. I mostly fish for steelhead and salmon and always used spincasters but time for a change.I think I am going to purchase a gl2 loomis rod but again your experience with this rod and opions would be great
thanks

dan

Islanders RULE! Once you've played a handful of good fish with one of these, you'll be patting yourself on the back should you go this route. Been running mine for 5 years now, and have a rather intense love affair going with it.

Loomis are great rods, and I know many that swear by them.
An option is the Rogue line of rods, they make a very sweet 12' drifter that is excellent. Gary Loomis' nephew moved over to Rogue a couple years back now - completely revamped their line up, and now they are every bit as good in quality that is offered by Loomis - just a hair less expensive is all.

Cheers & Good Luck with your selection!
Nog

I run trophy reels and they are great. Never a problem with them, and a bit cheaper then Islander might be somthing to look at. And i run a 11 foot Fenwick Med-light action rod.

x2 The islanders rule.
Used to drag the calcutta around with me as a spare but for the last couple seasons Ive just left that set up at home or in the truck

Sorry but Islanders DO NOT RULE.
There are many reels out there which are much better quality for the money. I have a number of their reels. One fly reel has not workd properly since day one and Islander has failed at fixing it(let alone replace it)
If you are looking for a center pin reel look at the Milner reels. http://www.johnmilnerreels.com/
About the same price as an Islander but custom made by a one man shop who goes the extra mile to put out a good reel and make sure you are happy with it. Islander used to be that way!

This guy's crazy, Islander's rule for a salmon reel trolling. If you're into a baitcaster i'd go with a Team Daiwa Luna. Awsome reel

Believe he's talking about centre pins not mootching reels;);) And if your going with a baitcaster, calcutta's the way to go!!:D

Pass the Pack

quote:Originally posted by Flyfishinggeek

Sorry but Islanders DO NOT RULE.
There are many reels out there which are much better quality for the money. I have a number of their reels. One fly reel has not workd properly since day one and Islander has failed at fixing it(let alone replace it)
If you are looking for a center pin reel look at the Milner reels. http://www.johnmilnerreels.com/
About the same price as an Islander but custom made by a one man shop who goes the extra mile to put out a good reel and make sure you are happy with it. Islander used to be that way!

Have to agree. If I could only have one center pin, it would be a Milner. Islanders are definitely good reels, but I prefer the fit & finish of the Milners. As for level winds, I have two Calcutta TE Conquests, the ones that are made in Japan, & wouldn't trade them for anything. You can find them for sale on e-bay. The one or two guys who sell them there are very reputable & easy to deal with.

I don't use centerpins and can't comment on those. And I know that sport generally goes super-light rod & line...

But I do use a couple mid-end Shimanos, Cardiff & older Catala and a few Abu's... The C5 Mag-X, D6 and the EXT-Pro are a dream for cast control with longer float-leaders. Except maybe the D6, seriously too bad they're discontinued as they have strong drags and handle perfectly. (I'm dying to try the new Toros) I'll be trying a new Curado 300 any day now on the rivers. It's working super-well off the beach & rocks into the salt. It just paint-scratches very very easily. I like the non-disengaged levelwinds on the Abus better than the fixed level wind on the 253 Diawa & 300 or smaller Shimanos. Island Outfitters had some C5's and an Okuma Induron 250 a month ago.

I also have Penn & Okuma Expior spinning reels in baitrunner models that I've used floating salmon and both are great. Using the baitfeed mode, you've got great finger-tip control on the spool to allow or guide the feed in free-spool. I do wish my Penn Captiva BF was a Slammer BF, all-metal version (at WestMarine), tho' because my buddies are less kind when it's not their gear. The Expiors need LocTite on the handle screw... engineering glitch.

As Shimano now own Loomis, and quite a few Loomis rods are now made globally, and as I have a couple Shimano Cennans... I gotta say the 10'6" slow/heavy Cennan is an outstanding rod for gear anglers. It throws 1/4oz on an Abu C4WS 140' easily, or 2oz on a C3 7000i 300'. You feel every greenling, rock cod & rainbow and when the 2" minnows bump your line, you know it. With that rod & braid, I know what I'm tapping on the bottom, grass, kelp, barnacles, gravel or rock.. and the odd fish. Similar action to the Convergence, but tighter and a holy cow lot stronger, more durable. Light weight too.

You'll find them at Westshore in Langford, by the Boston Pizza.

SunLine used to make a floating mono in bright orange & fl-yellow that was a great river float line. It's discontinued, but if you prefer monos, now Raven has one... not used it yet.

And, were I to try center-pinning, I'd probably start with the Okuma reel, see if I liked that style of fishing, then get a high-end reel & use the Okuma for pals or a spare.

Have Fun!

ive been runnin my islander 4 bout 11 seasons....and love it..and no problems!!!but dont over look other centre pins..silex has a big variety..as well as young and sons,or the milner.but none the less like nog says..once u land a handfull of fish with one..its like honeymoon time again,lmao.as 4 rods..ive got a 11'11' temple fork outfitters,med. light action,and payed under 2 bills 4 it..and yes i love it.but if i had a second choice..i would go with fenwick..its inexpensive and good quality.i own a sage and have used g loomis..and there both over rated.
and while on the topic..does any1 have any OLD centre pins 4sale??? avons,silex,or whatever!!!

spinnin,pinnin,and grinnin

shakes

Back