Islander or Abel Reels..... Which One

I generally use one of each. The able is very nice, its a toss up. The able might be slightly smoother the islander has never had an issue. The able clicking mechanical breaks or jambs up occasionally. The able aluminum knob is sharper and harder on the thumb after a trip, I have the wood which is awesome.

I can’t talk for the Ables but I’m really happy with my TR3’s, had them for two seasons now. No reel complaints ;)

Go with Abel. Pick the color you want and have your local store order it for you so you get exactly what you want.

My wife (who loves fishing) was adamant that there was no need to spend more than $150 on a reel - they all do the same thing she figured. A few years back I won an Abel at a derby. Five minutes after she picked it up and felt how smooth it was she was on their website picking out the colour for one for herself...

I've never had a issue with any of my Abels. Very easy to maintain and you can make the clicker quiet or loud (or more accurately, less quiet as they don't have a super loud clicker) depending how much grease you put on the pawls. I like mine quiet so every seal in the area doesn't know when I have a fish on.

I tried TR3 when it came out. They are nice reels, but much prefer the feel of the Abel.

Prefer the feel of Islanders over my Able which I won in the Trotac Derby a few years ago. I have only greased the Able in that time and have had no issues. Just don’t like the rough edge knobs and honestly don’t think the drag is any smoother than the Islanders. That said I just wish my MR2 and 3’s had bearings that stood up like those in the Able. One of my customers from the states dislikes the able enough to have given me the money to go get another Islander in time fir his next visit in 2022. He doesn’t like the knobs either.

Back