Island mountain lake bows on the fly

Thought I'd share some photos with you guys from last weekends trip to one of my favorite island mountain lakes. It was a beauty day and some fish were active but judging by the amount of chironomid casings on the surface, I was a day late from hitting the hatch. I still managed to get into some respectfull trout for island mountain lake standards and got some sun in the process. All fish were caught on a boatman pattern as it is one of my "go to" flies for island lakes.

2926.jpg

2928.jpg

wow beautys! Thanks for sharing and the inspiration!

Im just teachin my self to flyfish on Elk Lake in Victoria. Havent caught anything yet and ive kept thinking if I were out just a bit further out... Do you think it would be hard to learn how to cast in a tube?

I was taught how to cast when I was 7 years old in an open field with a piece of wool attached to the end of the tippet instead of a hook. Lots of practice later and I could cast well enough to catch fish. I think as long as you aren't trying to cast beyond your capabilities right off the bat, you'd be fine learning from a tube. If you get frusterated, you can always let line out and drag a fly around which is very effective as well. From a tube, you don't neccessarily need to make long casts anyways so in a way, it might be easier to learn from your tube. Good luck and enjoy.

Do you think it would be hard to learn how to cast in a tube?

Not the best place. As mentioned, from shore or from a boat and from a decent mentor would be good.

Also, Elk lake is not a good cast and catch fish lake, IMO, it can be tough there. There are better places to try and have more success. Langford is more cast friendly I would say, or Prospect.

Back