Is there a way to predict currents two miles off shore Nootka Light house

Keith Brown

I'm heading to Nootka for four days on Saturday. A few years back I was on a guided fishing trip with Nootka Island Lodge. Back then we had great success anchoring off shore the Nootka lighthouse for Halibut and Ling. Last year we were there but end up trolling and did very well with the exception of Halibut. Is there a reliable way to predict currents of Nootka. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You

I’ve never experienced “currents” offshore at Nootka. Two miles isn’t a lot so tidal pull might affect you somewhat. If you’re asking about fishing halibut, you won’t need an anchor unless it’s blowing. Backtroll if the conditions permit. Normally your stern will point north/west and you’ll drift over the area slowly covering some ground. Pick your days though.

I’ve never experienced “currents” offshore at Nootka. Two miles isn’t a lot so tidal pull might affect you somewhat. If you’re asking about fishing halibut, you won’t need an anchor unless it’s blowing. Backtroll if the conditions permit. Normally your stern will point north/west and you’ll drift over the area slowly covering some ground. Pick your days though.
I was picking up bait at Tro Tac Yesterday afternoon and Bill told me the same thing. I'll be out there if the water is calm enough. I think I'll set the anchor anyway I find it more relaxing.
Thank you

Back