Is 600 feet of 3/8ths. double braid overkill for halibut anchoring?

CohoJoe

My boat's a Silverstreak Carmanah and counting the swim grid is 20' in length. I'm thinking that with 35 feet of chain then 600' from the chain to the scotsman
is perhaps overly long and that it might be practical to shorten the anchor rope to 500 or 450'. Fishing in maximum on 300' of water slack tides and low currents with very small arrows showing on the chart.

lots and lots on the search bar about anchoring. some of the guys more in the know than i will
commment but you’re looking for minimum 3:1 scope to be safe. i don’t think it’s too long at all. My hali rope is also 600’ and i only anchor in about 200 max. the whole operation makes me nervous as i’m quite green when it comes to hali anchoring

My boat's a Silverstreak Carmanah and counting the swim grid is 20' in length. I'm thinking that with 35 feet of chain then 600' from the chain to the scotsman
is perhaps overly long and that it might be practical to shorten the anchor rope to 500 or 450'. Fishing in maximum on 300' of water slack tides and low currents with very small arrows showing on the chart.
I think your anchor outfit is perfect. I use 500' for floating rope and about 100' from my Scotsman to the boat, total of 600'
Would not shorted it from 600' to 450 for sure.

600’ is fine. Halibut are dumb in my opinion and will come to your bait even If you happen to be pushed a couple hundred ft from where you wanted to sit. I don’t think it’ll make a difference at all.

600’ is fine. Halibut are dumb in my opinion and will come to your bait even If you happen to be pushed a couple hundred ft from where you wanted to sit. I don’t think it’ll make a difference at all.
Thanks. I also have a further 100' of rope to the ring at the bouy so the full 600' will be taken up between the body and the chain.

I think most systems are 600'
My Trotac anchor is 600'
seems to be the standard

wouldnt want less than that

The 600 ft.line is good,but I prefer 5/16 line,it piles up smaller and is plenty strong enough.

I put together my own halibut anchor for under 200 bucks. I used 1/4" nylon braid for the main anchor line. It has a break strength over 2000lbs which is fine for halibut anchoring and lays limp and isn't overly bulky. A 2:1 scope is plenty for halibut anchoring, you're really only temporarily anchored and don't need the strongest stuff unless you're anchoring in heavy wind, waves, and current....which you should not be!

The ones put together by trotac and harbour chandler are nice, but are overkill (both in strength and $$$) in my opinion.

More scope is always better. 600 ft is what you need, and personally for starting just have one made. For the time and screwing around it isn't worth it. They can also make you a system with a 200 section and 400 section.

Depending where you are South island Trotac. Up island PNT, or HC...

They also have lots of advice for the areas your fishing. Cheaping out anchor systems I wouldn't recommend myself.

600 feet is great if you are fishing really deep spots...if you fish shallower water the long anchor becomes a real pain in the butt. Not to mention at 600 feet it gets really hard to stick the boat exactly where you might want to be.

You’d be best to take derby up on his offer but if you’d like to see some mediocre hali fishing techniques and drink good rum in a shittier version of your boat I am your guy.
pretty sure u have it down to fine art by now :) however if by the off chance you get that chichen receipe :) can you share :)

You're good. I only had 350' and, only had a few slips at the Potato (270') and the Dump w/a 2802
400'+ is more than adequate.

Back