Hot lure's

scott craven

Have you ever had a hot lure that worked better than anything else go off after a few season's.
I'm not sure if this is because the fish are no longer interested, or because a lack of bites will turn the fisherman off using it.
I used to use the small chrome/green krippled K spoon years ago and it was a killer. Then there was the J79 squirt, Tom Mack spoon, Witch doctor Hootchy etc.
I never use them any more, even though i'm sure they would still work at times.
What's your opinion ?

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

I think fishing lures attract fisherman more then fish. I believe that alot of the time fisherman hear a fisherman caught a couple of fish at a point on a certain lure and then before you now it that lure is sold out and we fish the hell out of it. It also has alot to do with forums like this talking about fishing some new eg. coyote spoon and then we all have to have it. It is the new lures coming into the market and we are forgetting about the originals that stillwork really well.I still have a spoon (old faithful) that is a kripple k blue/chrome and when everything else fails I can usually get a fish on it. just my 2 cents

d.

Good Morning,
I often ask the same question. My tackle box contains the very same lures which I no longer use. I am quite certain they will
work if I place them in front of a hungry fish. This concept is difficult to follow if some other "hot" lure is popular.The
one exception to this observation is the Purple Haze hootchie and squirt which I have faithfully used for the last two years.
Ed Beatty

I know what you meen R.S. about 3 years ago a purple / cream colour bait buster was a very hot lure for me. Caught most of my large springs on it and quite often it would out fish other boats using other lures or bait. This last 2 years next to nothing on it.

I think the reason for it is the bait changes from year to year and the look or colour variations of the bait would also change depending what is in the water. i.e. allgae, etc.

Just my theory, I will read your guys feed back.

Autumn Ty-ee

It changes, I have a couple grand worth of lures that I don't use anymore LOL. Bait changes, fish changes, and of course fishing effort with a particular lure change.

For instance, there was almost nothing in the way of pilchards on Swiftsure this summer, so the big plugs, for the most part, were put away and the Coyotes were out.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Any colour flasher as long as it is green...:D though I must say the Purple Haze has been good. As for lures, I have a hard time not using the green and white glow Coyote or a white needle fish hootchie... That having been said, lots of room still on my license for Chinooks..... :( SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Like Kelly said thousands of dollars spent on gear,lures.chovie heads FLASHERS etc and yet we go to the same thing we used the day before to catch fish!!!!!!!!!!I have about 40 flashers in the boat probably a 100 teaser haeds and dont get me going on spoons LOL,
And yet still put out $30 worth a gear!!!!!!!!

Things were way simpler when we had a red/green hot spot flasher or an abe and al or even a palco dodger!! and clear/green or red teaser head we ddint have all the "fancy" gear remember the first depth sounders that were rotary and a blip would tell you fish were at 40 ft!!!!!!!LOL LOL times have changed thats for sure!!!!!!!!!

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Like Kelly said thousands of dollars spent on gear,lures.chovie heads FLASHERS etc and yet we go to the same thing we used the day before to catch fish!!!!!!!!!!I have about 40 flashers in the boat probably a 100 teaser haeds and dont get me going on spoons LOL,
And yet still put out $30 worth a gear!!!!!!!!

Things were way simpler when we had a red/green hot spot flasher or an abe and al or even a palco dodger!! and clear/green or red teaser head we ddint have all the "fancy" gear remember the first depth sounders that were rotary and a blip would tell you fish were at 40 ft!!!!!!!LOL LOL times have changed thats for sure!!!!!!!!!

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Agreed!!! and the truth is if I would just fish either a green or red chrome flasher with a clear teaser at the right speed, depth and bait roll I'd still catch as many, or more springs. Instead I'll fall for the "new hot lure, color etc"</u> and just buy and buy tackle and forget to use what has always worked. I with the fish were as easy to catch as I am.

Hey, just remember this: The fishing may be slow, but you can always buy new gear. [8D]

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

Use to use Knosky Killers,Number 2 red Kamlure,and Red T spoon for years,the only one I would try now is the Knosky Killer.Those chrome/geen krippled 'k's were awesome lures,still have a couple left,just don't have the heart to use/lose them.Flashers,well thats a different story,have around 100 of them,all the way from the herring dodgers, to the kelp cutter,abe and al's,nootka washboard, pal's,palco sockeye,san jaun,becholds,when its all said and done I like the Hot Spots,and the rhys davis heads best.But it was fun trying all that stuff.Dan

Use to use Knosky Killers,Number 2 red Kamlure,and Red T spoon for years,the only one I would try now is the Knosky Killer.Those chrome/geen krippled 'k's were awesome lures,still have a couple left,just don't have the heart to use/lose them.Flashers,well thats a different story,have around 100 of them,all the way from the herring dodgers, to the kelp cutter,abe and al's,nootka washboard, pal's,palco sockeye,san jaun,becholds,when its all said and done I like the Hot Spots,and the rhys davis heads best.But it was fun trying all that stuff.Dan

I just like to support the local economy. That's why I've got one of everything lol. Well, that's what I tell my wife anyway.;)

Highliner
Fish2-2.gif

I just like to support the local economy. That's why I've got one of everything lol. Well, that's what I tell my wife anyway.;)

Highliner
Fish2-2.gif

The problem I found with having so much tackle onboard there's not enough time in the day to use it and be satisfied saying for sure wheather it worked or not.

I am a believer that you got to be at the right spot at the right time. Having a super/dooper lure will not help if the fish is 50ft away. Location location location. Within reason ;)

cheers

gonefishingsign.gif

I just bought one of those "The Lure" By Charlie White at a garage sale. I'm almost tempted to try it. lol

quote:
I just bought one of those "The Lure" By Charlie White at a garage sale. I'm almost tempted to try it. lol

tie it on backwards, that'll do it.
T2

No Rigours

We all agree, it is finding the fish at their bite time. As a kid in Campbell River 1943,( a pink year!) I caught more fish in a week than I do now in a year! Because there were a lot of salmon available.
We only had a rowboat, hand line, Tom mack spoon. Now I have all the gear but do not do as well! However, it is still FUN!

Back