Honda Outboards

P

Pablo2079

Does anybody have an opinion on Honda outboards? Primarily wondering about using one as a kicker. They claim they hold up well in the salt.....

Another question, anyone use a long shaft outboard on a cartopper before? What are the drawbacks?

Another question, anyone use a long shaft outboard on a cartopper before? What are the drawbacks?

My 2003 8HP Honda was so good I traded it for an 8HP Yamaha in 4 months. Let's see:

Leaky Gearcase from the getgo. Charging system was a joke. It WAS quiet (Except for the following complaint), assuming you could get it started when you wanted it. And the best part of all was on the tiller handle, there was a plastic piece that you turned to adjust throttle tension, not only did this not seem to adjust anything, but it would RATTLE like crazy. I finally duct taped it (At least the duct tape was the same colour as the motor). SG (Where I bought it) had told me that Honda's suggestion to the rattle was to squirt grease under the collar, so when the handle was up, grease would rattle down the handle. And let's not forget the dinky little tilt pin thing that held it up, I broke a few of those at 40 dollars a crack! Maybe I had a lemon, maybe it was as bad one, but when I was finally done with it, let's just say it didnt' hit the back of my truck niceley.

However, I should, in Honda's defence, point out that I had an early 90's Honda 10HP kicker (don't know the exact year, it was a square silver one before they went to the round cowling), and other then it being worn out and dunked a few hundred times, ran fine. Was not a high thrust per say, but would start and run reliably.

I do think the Yam's high thrust setup was better with less cavitation.

My 2003 8HP Honda was so good I traded it for an 8HP Yamaha in 4 months. Let's see:

Leaky Gearcase from the getgo. Charging system was a joke. It WAS quiet (Except for the following complaint), assuming you could get it started when you wanted it. And the best part of all was on the tiller handle, there was a plastic piece that you turned to adjust throttle tension, not only did this not seem to adjust anything, but it would RATTLE like crazy. I finally duct taped it (At least the duct tape was the same colour as the motor). SG (Where I bought it) had told me that Honda's suggestion to the rattle was to squirt grease under the collar, so when the handle was up, grease would rattle down the handle. And let's not forget the dinky little tilt pin thing that held it up, I broke a few of those at 40 dollars a crack! Maybe I had a lemon, maybe it was as bad one, but when I was finally done with it, let's just say it didnt' hit the back of my truck niceley.

However, I should, in Honda's defence, point out that I had an early 90's Honda 10HP kicker (don't know the exact year, it was a square silver one before they went to the round cowling), and other then it being worn out and dunked a few hundred times, ran fine. Was not a high thrust per say, but would start and run reliably.

I do think the Yam's high thrust setup was better with less cavitation.

quote:Originally posted by Pablo2079

You will take a good hit in speed if you do that, please loose some shallow water ability as well (Harder to run at the beach and fly the boat up while tilting the motor up just in time :D ). I think you will be more likley to find a shorty anyway, the long shafters command a VERY high resale, wheras short tiller models are available everywhere at a substantial price break.

quote:Originally posted by Pablo2079

You will take a good hit in speed if you do that, please loose some shallow water ability as well (Harder to run at the beach and fly the boat up while tilting the motor up just in time :D ). I think you will be more likley to find a shorty anyway, the long shafters command a VERY high resale, wheras short tiller models are available everywhere at a substantial price break.

The reason I ask is that I picked up a 2003 5hp Honda to use on my cartopper for cheap ($440 US)..... It was a Police Auction. But, it turned out to be a long shaft. Maybe I should just resell it, looks like it's hardly seen any service. I need to get a fuel tank, line, and safety lanyard for it. I liked the idea of going from 2 stroke to 4 stroke..... Found the manual online for it.

They also had an 8HP Yammy at the auction, but I had no idea of the year. It looked like it had seen more service and even more like a long shaft.

I'll probably crank up the Honda and see if I like it. Never owned anything other than Johnsons up until now.

The reason I ask is that I picked up a 2003 5hp Honda to use on my cartopper for cheap ($440 US)..... It was a Police Auction. But, it turned out to be a long shaft. Maybe I should just resell it, looks like it's hardly seen any service. I need to get a fuel tank, line, and safety lanyard for it. I liked the idea of going from 2 stroke to 4 stroke..... Found the manual online for it.

They also had an 8HP Yammy at the auction, but I had no idea of the year. It looked like it had seen more service and even more like a long shaft.

I'll probably crank up the Honda and see if I like it. Never owned anything other than Johnsons up until now.

My dad and I both had 8 horse hondas and we both had the same problems.They would foul up the plugs after about 4 hours of trolling:(changed to a hotter thermostat different plugs nothing helped,traded that hunk of s___ in on a new 8 merc 4 stroke,love it[8D]

My dad and I both had 8 horse hondas and we both had the same problems.They would foul up the plugs after about 4 hours of trolling:(changed to a hotter thermostat different plugs nothing helped,traded that hunk of s___ in on a new 8 merc 4 stroke,love it[8D]

Surprisingly, I can make my boat plane with my Johnson 4hp now. I just have to lean way forward, plus having a crab trap up front helps too. Any more weight in the boat, forget it.

Good idea about building up the transom height. It's only 5.5" diff. (or something like that).

Not happy to hear about the fouling of the plugs.... hmmmm Maybe I will just sell it.

Surprisingly, I can make my boat plane with my Johnson 4hp now. I just have to lean way forward, plus having a crab trap up front helps too. Any more weight in the boat, forget it.

Good idea about building up the transom height. It's only 5.5" diff. (or something like that).

Not happy to hear about the fouling of the plugs.... hmmmm Maybe I will just sell it.

My experience with Honda's has been good so far...
at the price you paid for the 5hp, i would keep it and give it a
try before you part with it.
You will be impreessed with how little gas it burns !

I'll give it a shot this season and decide at that point. Wish I had picked up the older Yammy now! haha

thanks for all the feedback

I have a honda 15 - ran on the smelly of an oily rag truly efficent never had a problem with the plugs or any other complaints that were mentioned

Back