Herring Sale

anyone know what the size range has been in years past of the fish? I’m sure it depends on the year but just curious how they have looked previous years. Looks like they are all pretty big (blue or purple label) from some old pictures.

Does anyone bother brining the bait prior to freezing or do you just freeze it in ziplock bags. Interested in how others process the herring for bait. I did it a few years ago and wasn’t happy with the results. Seemed to take forever to freeze in my little bait freezer.

I lay them on cookie sheets single row with parchment paper between them freeze them then vacuum seal in dozen tow bag

You can also freeze them on sheets like said above, then dip them in water with a basket and toss them back in for a second and they glaze.

I found the quality pretty good this year, for my 5 bags anyways. Was able to get a bunch of 8-packs made up of 6-7” for salmon. Yeah there are some scales missing but if Mr. Chinook doesn’t seem to care then neither do I. Beats paying almost $2 each when these are almost legit 10x cheaper

Back