HD Sidescan Sonar

One of the members on the Striper Owners Club posted this photo and it made my jaw drop. It's a wreck near where he lives. He has the Hummingbird 997c.

wreck.jpg

TenMile
<'((((><

I talked to someone who runs a Hummingbird 3D sonar in Puget Sound and he said you can forget the sidescanner in depths over 60ft. I guess the angle is too high so that in deeper water it strays too far and you never get an echo back from the sidescanner... Made sense to me.

this stuff has been out for a few years now, and yup only works in shallow water. google it, theres some pretty amazing pics on the web of underwater stuff.
i thought 1 model, but not sure which one, worked up to 80 or 100'

i've got the lowrance hd unit not the side scan,but the sounder is amazing you can see your flasher rotate see fish come off the bottom and stop at the flashers.Has anyone seen the pic of the killer whale on the sounder it's sitting beside most lowrance displays.

Very cool unit.

Looks like a school bus.... what bait and flasher to use??

IMG_1445.jpg

I have one if you would like to see it in action
The side scan is really only good down to about 100 feet

Very nice....how well does the HD work at 200 feet? Would be interested in feedback on how much of an upgrade HD is over standard LCX112 model.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Looking at the HD-10 & HD-5 for my boat right now-Will let you know how it goes over the next 2 weeks
:)

I would spend your money on the airmar transducer rather than upgrading from 112 or 110 or 104. The quality of the picture comes from the transducer. The broadband upgrade for the 112 will give you the same picture as the new HD with the built in Broadband.
If I knew how to post pictures I could show you what the ideal picture looks like.
Broadband and a high quality transducer gives you the ultimate picture. Broadband and regular plastic transducer is the same picture as having no broadband and a high quality Airmar transducer. If you have a 112 I would suggest adding the broadband and going with the Airmar transducer. It is about an $1100 upgrade. It is worth the money if you make your living fishing. I am excited about the new HD units, but more so for the other features that it has. I will be installing a new unit in the spring. It may take a little getting used to the menu compared to my 112 which has the same menu that I have been using for the past 10 years.
If anyone has any questions about this stuff, post and i will do my best to help you out.

Tx, went with the big bronze thru hull transducer which made a big difference in the quality so I know what you mean. Looking at the option of the HD unit to not only boost the LC112 but to also give me option of running radar on one big screen while having a second to run my chart plotter...and eventually AIS so I can see the big boyz coming and know their exact speed/heading and position relative to mine. At times with radar it can become a bit of a guess every time you change tack. Just looking for the best deal I can to make it work out. I have a Furuno 1875 that I will be selling to offset the cost.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Tx, went with the big bronze thru hull transducer which made a big difference in the quality so I know what you mean. Looking at the option of the HD unit to not only boost the LC112 but to also give me option of running radar on one big screen while having a second to run my chart plotter...and eventually AIS so I can see the big boyz coming and know their exact speed/heading and position relative to mine. At times with radar it can become a bit of a guess every time you change tack. Just looking for the best deal I can to make it work out. I have a Furuno 1875 that I will be selling to offset the cost.

Searun

th_067.jpg

quote:Originally posted by godeep

I would spend your money on the airmar transducer rather than upgrading from 112 or 110 or 104.

Hey godeep -- I have the LCX-104c that has a crappy 50khz transducer and it no longer seems to mark any fish or bait. Do you know which transducer is best for this unit? I don't think I can put the broadband unit on this sonar can I?

TenMile
<'((((><

quote:Originally posted by godeep

I would spend your money on the airmar transducer rather than upgrading from 112 or 110 or 104.

Hey godeep -- I have the LCX-104c that has a crappy 50khz transducer and it no longer seems to mark any fish or bait. Do you know which transducer is best for this unit? I don't think I can put the broadband unit on this sonar can I?

TenMile
<'((((><

Back