halibut in and around Sooke

G

gmelore

Hi:
I'm new to the forum and looking for some info. How's the halibut fishing around Sooke? Any information is most welcome.
Thanks
GMelore

Thanks. Are the Sooke Bluffs shoreline or underwater structure? If they're bottom structure, are they noted on the navagational charts?
Being a tenderfoot in fishing Vancouver Is. saltwater I am at a loss to determine best places on the westside of the Island for halibut. What do you consider to be the best spots on the westside? I'm not looking for personal "honey holes" as I respect each individuals "secret spots". All I need is starting information to get me on the right path. Once I'm headed in the right direction I'll rely on my own devices to try to figure out the situation.
Thanks again. Judging from the number of responses I received from my initial post, I guess that Sooke is not noted for good halibut fishing. Is that a fair assessment?

gme - sooke not necessarily the best option for Halibut for sure. Doesn't help that you are out of peak season for hali's as well (Mar-June best). Most of the hali action usually runs out of Peddar Bay - Race Rocks area although I don't know the specifics. Lots of spots further east as well - Constance Banks is well known, and the area around Sidney Island as well.

Everything in general has been quite slow these days anyway...odd year!

Thanks for the info Deewar25. Finest kind!
Odd year here as well. I keep my boat at Ilwaco (mouth of the Columbia on the Washington State side). Ocean fishing is just starting to come around for silvers and some chinook. A few weeks back the water was quite warm and the salmon were far off shore while some 30# albcore were caught 4 miles off shore! Talk about a reversal of domain. It's not even an El Nino year. The water has cooled as a result of upwellings due to strong onshore winds. Makes it difficult to get out however.
Regarding hali, I'm just starting to research the fishery. I know that late winter-spring seems to be the best time. I just want to be prepared as I do plan to drag my boat up there at the appropriate time(s). Do you know of any marinas where I can dock my boat (23' GradyWhite)in the aras that you mentioned? Any help with this info would be greatly appreciated also.
Thank you again.
Tight lines!

Can pretty well dock anywhere....google victoria or Sooke moorage. If you are looking for hali...start at the likes of Peddar Bay Marina or Oak Bay Marina...there is no shortage as we take boating pretty seriously.

Mostly heard slowness from everyone else - I just moved down here and have only been out once...we caught a 25 spring but that was the only action we saw in about 5 hours. Biggest problem is the wind. Tough for those with smaller boats like me....it blows alot around here!

Halibut fishing has been good, even 'great' the last couple years. Guys do consistently well off constance bank, race rocks area (reefs) and in Oak Bay you can fish the flats off Trial Island or the banks further offshore (7 - 8 miles). Look for pinnacles and structure on your software programs. Nobeltech is a great software program for that. You have to learn how to anchor safely in strong tides using a buoy and an anchor release device. Learn the tides and target the slow tides - they often bite at tide change like salmon. Gotta use spreader bars with 1 or 2 or even 5lb balls depending on tide. Try herring, squid and mackeral for baits and combos of these....and then hang on!! Have you bought a spear yet?

quote: Gotta use spreader bars with 1 or 2 or even 5lb balls depending on tide.

Unless something happened while I wasn't looking....I believe DFO reg's allow a maximum of 2lbs. of weight on a meat stick. Downriggers are another story though with a 15lb limit.

Some like it rough...
Others just puke!.

Mr. Dean

Yeah good point MD....I should clarify, when the tide gets too strong lots of guys use 5lb or 10lb balls off their downriggers to reach the bottom. I usually just avoid tides that strong.

Back