Halibut closed as of 9th October 2024 - notice came out today around 12. so 12 hour notice

Hot-Streak

Notice is out.. halibut will close after 8th October (today)

Fishery Notice​

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)
Subject:
FN1042-Recreational - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon) - Halibut - Fishery Closure - October 9, 2024

This Fishery Notice supersedes FN0971 to announce the closure of the Recreational Halibut Fishery. The updated Fishery Notice reads as follows:

The Department has reviewed in-season monthly catch estimates for the recreational halibut fishery with the Sport Fishing Advisory Board during this year's fishing season.

Catch information indicates that the recreational share of the Total Allowable Catch for halibut has been achieved. Therefore, recreational fishing for halibut under the BC Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence will close effective 00:01 hours on October 9, 2024, until further notice.

Variation Order: 2024-RCT-414 and 2024-RFQ-415.

FOR MORE INFORMATION: Greg Hornby (Regional Manager Recreational Fisheries) - Greg.Hornby@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN1042
Sent October 8, 2024 at 1202

I like how the notice came out at 1202 today (8th october). No lead time for anyone to plan and get out one more time before it closes.... 🙄

I guess they wait for the final lodge numbers? Always seems to happen around the end of September now , so plan accordingly I guess. Really do wonder why they bumped up the daily limit only to later cancel it and then find out we were out of TAC. One day notice is sketchy.

Back