Getting Stuck Rod Sections Apart--- Bomb-Proof!

Sharphooks

Figured I'd post this right in the middle of the deep freeze we've been having.

Went out on the river yesterday to see if there was any fresh steel lurking. No soap in the catch department but for a bonus, my two-piece 12 foot Sage became a one-piece due to ice inside the ferrule and material contraction.

The sections were literally welded together! So bad I had to drive home with 12 feet of rod sticking out a side window.

I tried all the tricks I've ever used---no way I could get that Sage apart.

Finally resorted to Google---found a post from some gal in Australia on what she did. I used her ideas, some of mine, and finally got her unglued this morning

The big trick---wrapping in multiple stiff items alongside the rod to transfer force when you twist---in this case, I used two sections of 8" bull nose tile per section (4 strips total)

Reason---the bull-nose strips had well-defined edges that would get major grip once bound to the rod. I first wrapped in a cover strip over the rod sections(rubber floor-covering for carpet backing) so the rod didn't get scratched, then another strip over the bull-nose tile strips.

One quick twist got her un-done (after letting the ferrule portion sit on ice for about 10 minutes)

here are the pics:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lay them across your chest freezer with the lid closed and they come apart easily. I believe GLG did this and used a sleeping bag to create the seal well the rod was freezing.

Lemme see now-- Its a Sage?? No problem! Bust the thing over your knee and then get a replacement! Simple!!!!

Lemme see now-- Its a Sage?? No problem! Bust the thing over your knee and then get a replacement! Simple!!!!

Ha ha. The Sage factory is about 2 blocks away from my house---that was Plan B: ---bring it in and lay it on their desk and say....you do it!

I wrapped that blank so busting it was not high on my list

LOL you can do the same with the trophy!

Back