Getting jacked targetting trout

• Thread starter Thread starter River Hunter
  • Start date Start date
R

River Hunter

I go fishing for cutties and if it ain't a pink taking my fly it's either coho jacks or jack springs. Yesterday in a secluded canyon I drift my fly down a run and a scaled pink takes my egg sucking leech. 20 minutes later on the same drift and same pattern this jack spring aggressively takes off with it.
jackspring.jpg

Today Ima try maybe an egg pattern. Hopefully I can get a nice cutthroat.

Bam! Got my cutty. Same fly,different run. I'm giving it 3 pnds.
cutty-1.jpg

It was bigger than alot of the pinks in the river.

Bam! Got my cutty. Same fly,different run. I'm giving it 3 pnds.
cutty-1.jpg

It was bigger than alot of the pinks in the river.

Beauty Cutthroat!! That's some older gear you're using there, mate. What's the story on that fly rod?

Beauty Cutthroat!! That's some older gear you're using there, mate. What's the story on that fly rod?

Thanx. Sorry I don't get on the internet much at this point in my life.
That's an old bamboo rod I bought for $10 bucks at a small yard sale in Langford. This old lady was selling some of her late husbands gear and this rod was leaning 'gainst the table. I'm not sure of the reel nor the rod type/make,I'm still looking for info on it.
The whole setup casts well and apparently can handle a ....7pnd jack spring so far ! :D.
The reel has no real working drag and only the clicker stops it from literrally freespooling. It's got floating like with about a section of 12ft sink tip.
Alot of the threads were winding off the guides so I glazed them down with some elmer's glue.
Gonna try again this weekend for some fresh sizeable coho using the same outfit.
ttyl! Clay.

Back