garmin

trophywife

Crew Member
so i got a new garmin 720s and checked out the charting on the west side of van island...... wtf? the charts look totally different as in the usuall shapes that i have learned over the years do not seem at all there.. like the wreck? wales tail?, bottleneck?, rats nose, flat tops, gullies? any one else have similar model with the different looking charts? frustrated!!!

Just about threw my garmin overboard last year while fishing Barkley sound..very few depth contours. Sold it and am hoping for a Lowrance this spring

so i got a new garmin 720s and checked out the charting on the west side of van island...... wtf? the charts look totally different as in the usuall shapes that i have learned over the years do not seem at all there.. like the wreck? wales tail?, bottleneck?, rats nose, flat tops, gullies? any one else have similar model with the different looking charts? frustrated!!!

Did the old Garmin have better details, or the new just had worst.....hard to comprehend newer tech should be better & usually show more

I know my old Garmin was much better than my older Garmin, hence my new has to be better......no?

I was just explaining this to Finished buissness!!!

had the 2011 garmin 521s, bought after old lowrance xc19?? (I bielive) packed er in...was not impressed with the map detail and found the sounder was poor detail as well, and slow to pick up...thank god the garmin was stolen (along with other things) I had isurance replace it with the lorance elite 5 w/ navionics software...entry level still but hands down better in both map and sounder...new boat has HDS7 w/navionics...love it

hope you see this FB!!

I was just explaining this to Finished buissness!!!

had the 2011 garmin 521s, bought after old lowrance xc19?? (I bielive) packed er in...was not impressed with the map detail and found the sounder was poor detail as well, and slow to pick up...thank god the garmin was stolen (along with other things) I had isurance replace it with the lorance elite 5 w/ navionics software...entry level still but hands down better in both map and sounder...new boat has HDS7 w/navionics...love it

hope you see this FB!!

FB is busy with motor details, Boat show is coming up & may throw a wrench on things

LOL Nick

Did the old Garmin have better details, or the new just had worst.....hard to comprehend newer tech should be better & usually show more

I know my old Garmin was much better than my older Garmin, hence my new has to be better......no?

my 2005 garmin had charts on it that were all comparable to the paper charts , so much easier to find ares by description rather than by gps location. the new has way more detail but not any of the traditional chart hydrographic reference shapes.. really f'n odd..

my 2005 garmin had charts on it that were all comparable to the paper charts , so much easier to find ares by description rather than by gps location. the new has way more detail but not any of the traditional chart hydrographic reference shapes.. really f'n odd..

The main detail I always looked for is depth shelf which is a must in GPS charts
The areas that you mentioned before like Rats nose, Wreck, Whale's tail, Bottle neck. these are all shelf drop offs & all map plotters should have these details, if not something is Hooped

Kh

I've got two 720's in my boat. I find them fine. Are you using the BlueChart® g2 Vision maps? There is a navigation and fishing chart option. Its got options that I couldn't find on other MFD's....Have you bought Homeport for your home pc? Its cheap and you can preplan all your routes in advance and set up your fav fishing spots as waypoints..

gonna pull my card and take it with me to the boatshow,, thanks pescador, just looked into homeport....

strange tho, outfront of tofino approx 20 miles ish the map is boxed out also? something seems wrong.

I think I know what is the problem with map.
I did buy a map for the raynarine and when i placed it in the unit I was not impress , I could not recognize anything offshore, the map was not detailed at all, so I called the store, Nikkai and explained and told them I need my money back, they said they know about it, and the Canadian government do not want a detailed offshore map.
So the next step , I have called and emailed Navionics after several mails they decided they will update my map for free of charge. It took me all these around 4 months but it was worth it. Now I have a very detailed map as it should be.
May be that is your problem.
I hope this will help other fishing bodies who has new map .

Sounds to me like you have the wrong sd card. There's one that covers the waters off the east coast of the Island only and another that covers both east and west coast all the way to Dixon Entrance. The latter card is just over $300 and the east coast only about $180.

Back