Garmin GPS Issue with Satellite Connectivity

InterMechanico

I’m hoping someone has some insight into a problem I’ve been having for the past few months with my GPS.
I have following equipment installed:

GARMIN GPS MAP 922XS,
GARMIN GMR 18HD+ RADAR,
GARMIN GT22HW-TM

The GPS has been taking a very long time after power up to connect and display position and speed data, in some cases as long as 30 minutes.
The Radar works as normal.

I have tried the following:
- Updated software (over air update)
- check connections into display
- Remove MicroSD and reinstall while powered on
- Powered off and on again multiple times
- Cleared user data

Any thoughts? Buy a new one? Haha

Contact Garmin. They have excellent customer service. I had the screen delaminate on a 5 year old GPSMAP unit I got used with a boat, didn't have a receipt. They replaced it with the latest equivalent model, no questions, no hassle at all. Friend just had them replace a watch that was being glitchy as well.

Contact Garmin. They have excellent customer service. I had the screen delaminate on a 5 year old GPSMAP unit I got used with a boat, didn't have a receipt. They replaced it with the latest equivalent model, no questions, no hassle at all. Friend just had them replace a watch that was being glitchy as well.
Thank you! I’ll give them a call tomorrow

Not sure if you have an external antenna but if you do not I would attach one añd test position with it attached and a clear view of sky. or if you do have an external antenna I would try another antenna as a test unit and check your HDOP. 90 percent of our gps issues are antenna or antenna cable issues

Last edited:
Not sure if you have an external antenna but if you do not I would attach one añd test position with it attached and a clear view of sky. or if you do have an external antenna I would try another antenna as a test unit and check your HDOP. 90 percent of our gps issues are antenna or antenna cable issues
This makes a lot of sense, thank you.
I’ve always assumed that there is an external antenna within the radar dome, but perhaps not. There is no other GPS antenna mounted on the roof.
I’d imagine I could find out in the settings display?

Thanks again!

Julian

If you had an external antenna it would look like this.

Otherwise the GPS is internal to your GPS MAP 922XS.
Seeing your chartplotter is inside an aluminum cabin would not be a bad idea to add an external GPS.

You could also check what source your chartplotter is using for GPS data.
Settings > System > GPS > Source

If you had an external antenna it would look like this.

Otherwise the GPS is internal to your GPS MAP 922XS.
Seeing your chartplotter is inside an aluminum cabin would not be a bad idea to add an external GPS.

You could also check what source your chartplotter is using for GPS data.
Settings > System > GPS > Source
THIS!!, there is Not a gps in a radome and yes, surrounding an internal antenna unit in metal or any other product would not be an efficient install.

Quick update!

I reached out to Garmin (Mark) as per a few recommendations. Apparently none of my gear (Chart plotter, radome or VHF) was registered when new… I think that was probably an oversight on my part!

True to @Flashman s’ statement above, Garmins’ support is truly fantastic. They have sent me the most up to date Antenna (with heading sensor) kit to install and report back.

Once connected and powered ON, the unit instantly registered great signal strength (9 satellites at full strength) with an accuracy of 7-8ft. Pretty great.

Now I just need to build a 3/4” starboard spacer a là @Sharphooks to get the cable to sit nicely inside my radar tower.

Pictures to follow once installation is complete!

I learned the hard way this summer that the internal GPS antennas that are built inside many of the modern day MFD’s are one click shy of useless, especially when the MFD is console mounted. My first clue was not being able to get consistent tide information from my brand new Furuno TzT3 I’d just installed. Then this was my second clue:

IMG_2316.jpeg

I was going to step up for a GP330B GPS antenna and call it good but I figured if I was going to drill a hole in my wheelhouse roof, I might as well go full speed ahead with a satellite compass which I did and ….now I’m glad I did

I learned the hard way this summer that the internal GPS antennas that are built inside many of the modern day MFD’s are one click shy of useless, especially when the MFD is console mounted. My first clue was not being able to get consistent tide information from my brand new Furuno TzT3 I’d just installed. Then this was my second clue:

View attachment 109847

I was going to step up for a GP330B GPS antenna and call it good but I figured if I was going to drill a hole in my wheelhouse roof, I might as well go full speed ahead with a satellite compass which I did and ….now I’m glad I did
Haha yeah mine would just drop out unexpectedly, or just take forever to acquire. I was caught right in middle of that thunder storm last Sunday evening (another story) where visibility dropped significantly. The GPS lost its signal a few minutes in and refused to re-acquire. Adjusting automatically for ride comfort, I found myself heading not for Vancouver but instead for Nanaimo! Obviously, the compass got us back on track but it’s much easier to glance at a chart plotter to stay on track.

Just so you know—-I purchased a Garmin 24XD antenna for my AIS install last summer. I just used the antenna puck (which is mounted on the interior ceiling of my wheelhouse roof ) If you need the antenna mount portion or knows anybody who does, I’ll ship it for free to a good home

Just so you know—-I purchased a Garmin 24XD antenna for my AIS install last summer. I just used the antenna puck (which is mounted on the interior ceiling of my wheelhouse roof ) If you need the antenna mount portion or knows anybody who does, I’ll ship it for free to a good home
Interior ceiling?

So much for clear view of the sky, I suppose that theory isn't much different than having a gps antenna inside a chartplotter, inside a boat
It seems that certain materials do not interfere with the gps signal, while others certainly do.
Interestingly, while I’m finishing up the spacer I need for the mount, I’ve temporarily placed the GPS antenna inside the aluminum radar tower. Surprisingly, the signal strength still remains quite strong despite being encased in aluminum.

It seems that certain materials do not interfere with the gps signal, while others certainly do.
Interestingly, while I’m finishing up the spacer I need for the mount, I’ve temporarily placed the GPS antenna inside the aluminum radar tower. Surprisingly, the signal strength still remains quite strong despite being encased in aluminum.
Sure, however In my professional opinion I would always prefer "clear view of the sky" for optimal performance. No matter what the people that want to satisfy everyone say, let me know how it performs when pitching and rolling.

Sure, however In my professional opinion I would always prefer "clear view of the sky" for optimal performance. No matter what the people that want to satisfy everyone say, let me know how it performs when pitching and rolling.
Nah I’m with you, mine will be going in the optimal position on the LH wing of the tower.

So much for clear view of the sky, I suppose that theory isn't much different than having a gps antenna inside a chartplotter, inside a boat

That antenna mount on the interior of the wheelhouse was strictly for transmitting an AIS signal and so far, so good. What’s nice about AIS transceiving is you can continually double-check via MarineTraffic dot com to see if your vessel’s AIS signal is being received and recognized. It was and it is, so I decided to leave the antenna fastened to one of my interior ceiling panels —-one less hole to drill through the wheelhouse roof.

That’s it in the far starboard corner…and it serves double duty as a handy hanger for hanging a set of rosary beads from if you feel like you might need them to do some laps while crossing the Straits or transiting the Yacultas in a thick fog….

IMG_2595.jpeg

Back